Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Little Things


In this hustle and bustle world of ours it sometimes feels that only the “big” things count. For myself, as well as many others, the big thing we want to accomplish is affordable health care for everyone. I know I am doing what I can as one person to push the idea. I am onto my congressmen and probably boring my friends and colleagues to tears urging them to try and get health care reform accomplished. There are times though when you need to step back and take a breather and look around you. We focus so much on the big things that we fail to see that there are other things that still need to be done.

Where I live we have a lot of squirrels. My Mom’s cat Pixie loves to watch the squirrels play. She will race from window to window trying to keep track of them as they run outside from tree to tree in our yard. My Mom has a statue of St. Francis in the front yard and the squirrels know that she will put bread and cookies and other food out for them. The statue happens to be in front of the dining room window that Pixie loves looking out of the most. Feeding the squirrels and the birds may be a small thing but it is important in the fact that it shows a love for animals and helps them in their daily lives in finding food. The statue is their place to go for free food and safety as it is away from the street.

Little things can mean a lot. I have a nasty respiratory infection and didn’t feel like going out yesterday. My mother is sick again with a bad sinus infection. I knew she would sleep most of the day and I tried to make sure the house was as quiet as possible. I had Pixie with me most of the day. I knew I couldn’t help make Mom feel better, only rest and the antibiotic kicking in would do that, but I also knew I could do something that only I could do to bring a smile to her face. I am a graphic artist and I recently acquired a nice 3D model for a squirrel. I already had a nice one for a cat that I could do a black short hair with gold eyes to stand in for Pixie. A collar and her little white spot could be added. I did Mom a picture of Pixie and her squirrels. This time the Pixster actually got to be outside with them.

The picture was a small thing requiring a couple of hours of work. It is not going to change the world. It did make an 83 year old woman who felt lousy smile. Sometimes we need to pull back for just a bit in fighting the big battles to take care of the little things.

No comments: