Saturday, January 2, 2010

Someone To Love


I usually ignore ads when I’m watching television but the ASPCA ad with Sarah McLachlan is not one of them. This ad touches my heart. It has one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard playing in the background “Angel”. I have a version of this song by John Barrowman from his album “Music, Music, Music” that I listen to many evenings before I go to sleep. It is the image of those animals who have been rescued that is haunting. The pain and ultimate hope in those eyes of the animals who have been through hell is heart breaking.

I have had cats in my lives for many years. Two of my cats Zonker and Sasha came from ads in the paper but two of them Casper and Merlin were rescued cats. These two cats had a lesson to learn attached to them. They taught that man and life can be cruel and they taught that man can be kind.

Casper was a big snow white cat with ice blue eyes and a crushed ear. His owner had abused him and had taken him to the Vet I went to with the orders “put him to sleep he’s a pest.” My doctor kept him until one day I had brought my cat Sasha in for his shots and Casper walked in to the examining room. A week later I asked the Doctor if I could adopt him and he agreed.

I always said Casper should have been a Hoosier cat. He was big, mellow, loved to eat and would have fit perfectly in Indiana where size 3X is a typical size in stores. He was so white that when the sun shone on him there was a rainbow effect. His ear was crushed by his owner and he had one stiff hip from being kicked. Casper never showed bad temper except when taken to the Vet. Although he loved the Vet that took him in there was always the fear in his mind. I think he knew that his first owner had taken him to the Vet to be killed. He was just the sweetest cat and I could never understand how anyone could hurt him.

My current cat Merlin was gotten at a Vet’s office that was also the pound in that area. The entire litter had been abandoned by the mother cat. Merlin has been my companion through hard times. We went through a difficult divorce and bankruptcy together. He is one of the biggest mama’s boys you have ever met. We have been through four moves and upheavals in our time together but as long as he is with his “Mommy” he is happy.

These animals in the shelters need someone to love them and they in return have love to return to their owners. I urge anyone who is thinking of getting a pet to try the shelters first. Consider an older animal. Casper was ten when I got him. If you want a pet to love get one who really needs your love in return. Rescue an animal and show them that their are people in the world who are capable of giving them love and kindness. Teach then that not all humans are abusers. Teach them that some of us know how to love.

No comments: