Sunday, August 17, 2008

Once More Into the Breach

"Three things are essential: great doubt, great faith, and great perseverance." Zen saying

"The sun lights up a thousand courtyards. Take away the walls and you will see that it is all the same light." Djalal ad-Din Rumi

"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good." Confucius

"It is easy to see the faults of others, hard to see one's own." Buddha

"The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis." Dalai Lama

"A clear distinction should be made between what is not found by science and what is found to be nonexistent by science. What science finds to be nonexistent, we must accept as nonexistent; but what science merely does not find is a completely different matter....It is quite clear that there are many, many mysterious things." Dalai Lama

"Human happiness and human satisfaction must ultimately come from within oneself. It is wrong to expect some final satisfaction to come from money or from a computer." Dalai Lama

Well there should be enough quotes there to keep you thinking for quite a while. ;-) Obviously I have been away from this Journal for a time and they have built up. An injury to the left rotator cuff has kept me really under the weather and not feeling like doing much at all these last couple of weeks.

I managed to get my website caught up again and am happy about that. I was thinking about my art the other day and was considering which artists I consider as being an inspiration to me. I came up with three main ones. The first is the great French impressionist Claude Monet. The second is the great Spanish surrealist Salvatore Dali. The third would be the classic space artist Chelsey Bonestell.

From Monet comes my love of doing landscapes. I found it interesting to read that in later years one of the reasons that Monet did his colors and the paintings the way he did was because of cataracts and that was they way he saw things. It is a great lesson in not letting anything get in the way of doing what you love.

From Dali I learned the love of the unusual, the surreal, the bizarre. The above picture is called Surreal Dali in honor of one of my favorite artists. If I want to be amazed I will sit down and go through Dali's works and look and wonder.

My love of science fiction goes with my love of space art and Chelsey Bonestell was one of the very best. I have always love space art and their are many, many talented artists in the field. I find that I always go back to doing space art as that was what I started with when I first embarked on computer generated art 10 years ago.

No comments: