Sunday, August 3, 2008

Empty Sounds

"Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother." Kahlil Gibran

 

"We should not be too concerned with our fame or what people say about us, either bad or good, because in reality fame could not make any serious difference in one's life. Therefore, we should have our priorities right, and seek what is truly of value, what is truly of meaning to our lives, not just mere fame, which is, after all, empty sounds."

 

It has been an interesting week. My mother finally turned in her intent to retire letter at work and she will be retiring come the first of September. Yeah!. We have been pushing her to retire for years now. I think having Pixie around helped her to make the decision as she loves being around the cat. I guess the spoiled rotten little cat does have some real good points.;-)

 

Friday was the season ending of Doctor Who. It was a beautifully done show and I was very impressed. We had all the companions back and that was great. It also showed more sides to the Doctor then we have seen in the past. You get the sense that here is a man who has enormous power and hasn’t always used it in a way that he has come to approve. He has more humanity now and seeing an incarnation of the Doctor as he was at the very beginning of the new series before he encountered Rose and the Doctor he has become was a lesson in the power of caring for others. He has learned more compassion as a result of being around his human companions and that is a good thing. His companions have also grown and they are now able to work independently of the Doctor and make the difficult decisions.

 

The show wasn't all grim however and watching John Barrowman's Captain Jack flirting with everybody was really fun. There is always a sense of humor in the show even when in the midst of its most intense and frightening battles. Davros is truly a demented and frightening opponent and I'm glad the show brought him back. Now if we can get the BBC and David Tennant talking to each other rather then to the press and get the man signed up to do more seasons of the Doctor everything would be great.

 

I saw X-Files: I Want to Believe yesterday and still haven't made up my mind about the movie. My brother was really impressed with the movie. I liked it but not as much as I thought I would. I really wanted a movie more like the last one where you had the conspiracy theories and the race against the forces of evil. This show was more about redemption I guess and in its way was well done. It gave the fans a lot of what they wanted but I really wanted it to go in a different direction then it did.

 

I finally splurged and got myself a new TV. The sound was really bad on the old one. I got a 19 inch HDTV flat screen and it is wonderful. I also replaced my DVD player which kept over heating and freezing in the middle of the discs. The one I got has VCR and DVD/DVR. I plan on copying some of my old tapes onto DVD since this system has a one step copy feature.

No comments: