Thursday, July 16, 2009

Being in Charge


“Living life tomorrow’s fate though thou be wise,
Thou canst not tell nor yet surmise;
Pass, therefore, not today in vain,
For it will never come again.” Omar Khayyam

When looking through my Dad’s books for something to read many years ago I came upon his books by Omar Khayyam. The above quote became a favorite of mine. I have always felt each day should be lived to its fullest because we do not know how many days we have before us. I know my Dad had many plans on what he was going to do on that May morning when top of his list was to plant a new bush where the other one was dying. He had a fatal heart attack that morning and was dead before he hit the ground. Time can be very short but at the same time it can stretch beyond belief. Just ask any child how long it is until Christmas, or their birthday, or until you are really going to take the to see the new Harry Potter movie.

Last weekend I was put in charge. That is what the repairman told me. My Mom had put me in charge. Of course I think she just meant the of the house but then I have been in charge of helping to “make it so” for her since I moved in to help take care of her several years ago. I’m the one who does the research to find repairmen for her. I find the information for her stocks and investments. I get her the forms necessary to get the money back from unscrupulous roofers who try and take advantage of the fact that she is a widow and that Dad always was in charge of things like that.

However it started me thinking this being in charge bit. If I were in charge of other things what would be my agenda? Well where I work it would be that the troublemakers are out of a job. I would cut unnecessary waste and the huge salaries of people who don’t deserve them and help more of the people without insurance.

If I were in charge of this town the first thing going out the window is the local newspaper which is incapable of proof reading, getting their facts straight, or writing anything worth reading. The comics aren’t even ones that people would like to read. We can use the current papers as compost or even pack down inside the pot holes that are all over town. That is the first thing to be fixed before we lose any more cars down the black holes. They are large enough to eat a VW Bug.

If I ruled the country we would have universal health care for everyone including the single payer insurance. Being in a job where I have to deal with many different insurances I love the idea of throwing all the idiots out and having only one to deal with. Next up would be making sure that all people have the same rights. If we are truly going to follow the Declaration of Independence that “all men are created equal” then we better make sure that it includes the GBLT community. They need to be able to openly serve their country in the Armed Services and they need to be able to enter into marriage contracts and adopt children if they want.

Our schools need to be changed to where the purpose of school is to learn and not to have the teachers baby-sit. We need an education to help us meet the challenges of the 21st century. We need more scientists. There has to be a cure for cancer out there and we need to find it. We need to be ecologically sound and clean up and keep clean our little fragile blue green world.

If I am going to be in charge I have one final word. Mars. Yes the red planet. We made it to the moon and now we need a manned space program to get us to Mars. I’m sure if we approach him right we could get Marvin to let us visit his home planet.

So if I’m in charge I better get going and act like all those honey bees buzzing around out flowers and get busy myself.

No comments: