Friday, July 10, 2009

Thoughts On A Sunny Day


“There is no fire like greed, no crime like hatred, no sorrow like separation, no sickness like hunger of heart, and no joy like the joy of freedom.” The Dhammapanda

There are times when going to work that I feel I would be better off attending pre-school. The children would be more mature then some of the coworkers I have to deal with each day. You know things are bad when your boss calls a meeting to let you know she will be off for three days to attend to her sister’s funeral and that she expects the office to get along and not fight or cause problems or call her at home. I have never worked in a place with such back stabbing and active attempts to hurt other people. I have to wonder if this is part of an epidemic of hatred that is sweeping this country.

I have read in disbelief as people who proclaim themselves to be Christians will use the most racist terms to tear others down. I have heard these so called Christians gossip and tear down fellow workers behind their backs. I have watched as they monitor every little mistake and run into the boss trying to get someone in trouble. I have read enough rants about wanting our President to fail, about how Senator Franken looks like a clown, about how it is okay to kill a doctor, etc. I have read more “apologies” about having affairs with “soul mates” and how it is against God’s will while continuing to carry on the affair. I have then read in disbelief about how these self proclaimed Christians are better then the people of the liberal side of politics because they don’t spew attacks and hatred. They follow God’s laws. The law they seem to forget is the one Christ gave “thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.” There are no qualifiers in that statement. Christ meant everyone.

One of the greatest attacks of hypocrisy in my own life has happened at work. We have a lovely young lady who has desperately wanted to be a mother. She and her husband have been trying for years. She just found out she was pregnant but was afraid to let the office know. We have one person in the office who because of miscarriage can’t have any more children. This woman is a bitter person who yells and swears at her husband and the child she has. She is always trying to get people fired. Her ego knows no bounds. She has let it be known if the lady trying for a child becomes pregnant she will leave the office. She is currently trying to get a transfer but her reputation proceeds her and no one wants her. We are all hoping she makes good on her promise and just quits. It would solve a major source of trouble in the office and make going to work a lot easier.

I have always felt when you spew out hatred you damage yourself in the process. I do call myself a Christian because I try and follow the commandment “that shalt love thy neighbor.” For me those are words to live by. I don’t always succeed but I am also human. I let the lady who is pregnant know how happy I am for her. As soon as we find out if it is a by or a girl I will get the crochet hooks and baby yarn out and make her an outfit. I let my elderly mother know each day I love her and try and get out and take photographs of flowers to brighten her day.

I do the best I can to be the best me I can. I try and do what I can to open minds and push the people I vote for to care for this planet and its people. I push my two major causes which at the moment is the environment and health care. I try to remember to do it without being strident and obnoxious.

No comments: