Saturday, December 26, 2009

Sometimes You Get It Perfect







Sometimes it really is better to give then receive. This Christmas I managed to find and create some perfect gifts. Hearing the joy in the voices and reading some of my Facebook responses today gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling that only the knowledge that you have made someone happy can give.

My niece back in 2003 had asked if I could create some artwork for her based on what she had discovered about the Chinese art known as Feng Shui. I have put that one on the back burner because I didn’t really have the tools or models I needed to do them properly. I finally had what I needed this year and I did the four pictures for her and matted them and sent them as my Christmas present to her. She was absolutely thrilled as this Facebook response shows “It is so great when you can get custom artwork for Christmas. Thanks Aunt Michele!” Her husband, who is a huge Superman fan, got the 7 DVD set of the new Superman animated series and he told me via Facebook “Hi Michele, Thanks for the DVDs. I've already started watching them and they are great!” I got the oldest girl a Chinese paint set that shows her how to do animals Chinese style and the oldest boy got 2 of the newer books in Robert Aspirin’s “Myth” series so he is happily reading. My brother loved the Andre Bocelli CD and my Mom loved her “Pixie” picture in the “I Love My Cat” frame. My sister-in-law loved her music box and my brother is looking forward to the martial arts film I sent him.

So knowing their are family members who are happy has added to my enjoyment of the day after Christmas. I am looking forward to the Doctor Who episode “The End of Time, Part 1” tonight. I have already heard from an English friend that it is great. So I am happy because of the joy of others and I can even face the Wal-Mart crowd in a good frame of mind and get our weekly shopping done.

These are the pictures I sent my niece based on this email:

I was hoping I could commission some artwork from you (something I think others might want to buy as well). I’ve been doing some research into Feng Shui, and hoped you could do some art for the four primary directions. The following is the description of the best elements to include (and avoid) for each of the directions.
West: Seven white tigers, in the marsh, round shapes, aqua blue as a secondary color, and metal. Area represents children and creativity. Avoid anything red or representations of fire.
North: One black turtle, lots of blue and navy, in the water, free form shapes. Area represents career. Avoid anything representing earth, yellow, flat or square.
East: Three cerulean green dragons, thunder in the background, lots of wood, rectangle shapes. Area represents Family. Avoid anything white, round, or metal.
South: Nine Phoenix, reds/purples/burgundies, fire and sun, triangle shapes. Area represents Fame and Reputation. Avoid black, water, and free-form shapes.
I figured since Feng Shui is becoming trendy, you could have fun with this, and add it to your collection.

Truly something given with love is a gift that keeps on giving.

No comments: