Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July

As the cats freak from the fireworks going off we are reminded that today is American Independence Day. Sometimes I think we as Americans take that independence for granted. It belongs to us but we shouldn’t share it with “foreigners.” We forget the fact that we were foreigners to this country also. We moved the real residents of this country onto reservations.

 

How often do you hear “they are in our country now and should speak our language.” I would venture to say that a majority of us have foreign languages in our background if we check our family trees. We push our religious beliefs forgetting that we have the freedom of religion because our ancestors came over here in order to practice their religions in peace.

 

On this Fourth of July it is a good time to remember that we are a melting pot and to start to appreciate all the cultures that go into making us the nation we are. I heard someone complain the other day that she hates it when the people who own and run the Chinese restaurant in town speak their own language because she “knows” they are talking about her. What an ego! She stuffs herself on the food that they prepare and at the restaurant that they maintain so she can eat but begrudges them the right to speak their own language. I hate to break it to her but people have much better things to speak about then her. She isn’t important. Personally I think Americans should be required to learn another language in addition to English. We are the only country in the world that doesn’t even try to learn the languages and customs of other people. We expect everyone to speak English even if we are visiting their country. Maybe if we get over our egos and learn to appreciate other cultures we would be able to shake our reputation as “Ugly Americans.”

 

I rejoice in my Celtic heritage and learn as much as I can about my Irish and Scottish backgrounds. I rejoice in my Cherokee heritage. I try and learn what I can about the people who make up my background. Every culture here in America has contributed to us being what we are as a country. All of us are Americans not just those who came over here from England. We have all contributed to making this country great.

 

Everyone here came to this country because they wanted to share in our freedom. Maybe we should remember that and grant them the freedom to speak more then one language, to practice more then one religion, to celebrate the cultures that make up their heritage. They are still Americans and by bringing more diversity to this country they are expanding our horizons and truly making us great.

No comments: