Sunday, July 27, 2008

Windy

"I laugh when I hear that the fish in the water is thirsty. I laugh when I hear that men go on pilgrimage to find God." Kabir

"I believe the most important element for peace of mind is human compassion." Dalai Lama

We have a week of thunderstorms coming up. We had some really fierce storms this past week. One night saw 80 mph winds. The next morning trees were down all over the place. A very large tree was torn up from its roots and blocked our street all day. It wasn't until the next morning that it was finally sawed up and we could get down our street. Fortunately we live on a corner and could go a different direction.

As I was driving to work I saw a tree that had been split right in half vertically! I had never seen anything like it. Half of the tree was lying in the yard and the other half was out in the street. It was the weirdest sight.

We had several power outages and it seemed just as I got all the digital clocks reset the power would go out again. This house is spooky in the dark. I have candles and matches out now so that we have some light. Mother was coming home when the lights went out once. Fortunately I had woken up and was down there with a flashlight so that she could see to get up the steps.

The winds of change are blowing right now. The know-it-all lady at work quit to join the computer company that we are getting rid of their system. She was mad enough that the hospital wants to get rid of the piece of junk. Right now they are listening to vendors presenting their recommendations so this will eventually mean long hors of converting over to yet another system but hopefully they will pick something decent this time.

I am making a small change this afternoon and replacing the television whose sound is awful and the DVD player that overheats and won't play my DVDs. I looked at some systems at Wal-Mart and there is a nice flat screen TV for $248.00 and a DVD/DVR VCR combo for $148.00 that I am going to go with. I can copy my VCR tapes onto DVDs with this system easily and some of the old things I have on tape will be transferred over to the easier to read and longer lasting DVDs. It is a small change but it will mean a lot to me in the way of enjoyment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing can really top the know it all lady having quit, workwise.  They are usu sort of sad( & the past 3 I have worked with also happened to have nasty addictions).  I think things are headed upward. ~Mary