Sunday, June 7, 2009

Roses


“Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.” Oscar Wilde

After a really stressful day I like to go out and walk. The physical action of putting one foot in front of the other sets up a rhythm that pulls the tension from my tight muscles and helps me to relax. There is a lot of stress in my life. I care for an aging mother who more and more relies on me to help her make decisions. I am trying to grapple with things I know little about such as bonds and annuities and other financial matters. Sometimes my advice can only be for her to be careful and not just go with something because she likes the person or the person has done work for her in the past. At the moment her decision is to bring all the paperwork home to me and I’ll look at it and hope I understand what I’m reading. If not I will be on the web researching until I understand.

On my walk last week I came across a rose bush. I have always loved roses. They remind me of one of my favorite books Antione de Saint Exupéry’s “The Little Prince.” The Little Prince learns in the story that his rose is special because of the love and care that he gives it. I know that people who don’t know my mother would think if they were to see that she is just another elderly lady. To me, like the Little Prince’s rose, she is unique in all the world.

I sometimes get frustrated with the way things are and the responsibilities that life thrusts upon me. Sometimes, like now when I’m battling the flu, I wish life would just take a detour and leave me alone. Sometimes I feel if there is one more problem I’m going to scream. It is at times like this that looking at a rose becomes important to me. The rose is beautiful and looks fragile but it also has thorns and can protect itself. It reminds me that in life there is always beauty but in that beauty is also strength.

No comments: