Thursday, September 17, 2009

Losing Mary


When I was growing up the first real genre of music I listened to was folk music. My Dad was very fond of it and I listened avidly also. We had albums by the Kingston Trio, the Limelighters, and Peter Paul and Mary among many others. I loved how the use of acoustic guitars and an occasional banjo could bring music to life that had its basis in culture that we brought with us when we came to America. Celtic music remains a large part of my life.

As a woman I loved the fact that the folk musicians were well represented by my sex. One of my favorite performers was Mary Travers from Peter, Paul and Mary. With her deep husky voice Mary managed to bring a pure beauty to every song she sang. She also made you really hear and appreciate all the lyrics. You felt “The Cruel War” that was raging and destroying lives. You wondered “Where Have All the Flowers Gone” taking the young with them forever.

I had the pleasure of seeing Peter, Paul and Mary in concert many times over the years. I knew when I saw one of their concerts I was going to listen to music new and old but music that would touch the heart. I knew I would go out of the concert thinking about not only the music but what they had said. They were people who really believed “This Land is Your Land” and they took pride in their country. The never hid their heads in the sand but spoke up when they saw injustice. They are the true patriots. They are people who love their country enough to say “you are wrong on this and let us do better.” Love means having to say your sorry and let me make amends when I am wrong.

Mary Travers has lost her battle with leukemia and the world has lost one of its most beautiful voices. Mary not only sang but she talked to anyone who would listen about the things she believed in. She never lost the idealism and belief that we are a great country and had the obligation to make sure our country used our resources to help make this world a better and safer place for everyone.

I am a huge fan of Mary Travers and Peter, Paul and Mary and I want to thank her for the years of music. She has enriched my life. Every time I hear her sing “Follow Me” I’ll try and be spiritually ready to follow and continue the fight for what she believed in.

No comments: