Sunday, September 13, 2009

Throwing Stones


“The human voice can never reach the distance that is covered by the still small voice of conscience.” Mahatma Gandhi

It was a weird week at work. Sometimes I wondered if I had walked into the loony bin instead of the hospital business office. The tensions and emotions could be cut with a knife and you had to make sure that the knife wasn’t aimed at your back. It was not a week that I could say I enjoyed but it was a week that proved some of the old saying such as “you reap what you sow” and “people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.”

I had mentioned in previous diaries that a couple of the people I work with live to make lives miserable for others. They are not happy in their lives so why should someone else enjoy what they don’t. The fact that they themselves have made their lives miserable doesn’t dawn on them. A third person came back to work after milking a workman’s comp for all she could get. She was put in a position that she hates. The CFO has flatly said she is not to be allowed to work with the public again because of all of the complaints against her. There is nothing specific enough that they can fire her for and given her litigious nature they need to be careful. She got them on the Family Medical Leave Act because of her injury and they had to provide a job for her by law. Before going out she had viciously turned against a young lady who had finally become pregnant. We were all thrilled for her but this woman had once had a miscarriage and her fury that one of the sweetest people in the office had finally succeeded in becoming pregnant knew no bounds. It was a very difficult time made more difficult when the lady miscarried. She had targeted another lady in the office who finally fled to another department not being able to handle the stress any longer.

This woman came back though to changes that bode ill for her. We have a new manager, a woman that the troublemaker did not want hired because she was prettier. The fact that this woman was highly qualified and is doing an excellent job and was exactly what our office needed was ignored, she was too pretty. My friend is back working in our office and working with me. The troublemaker was put as a junior biller, a job she hates, and being supervised by two people who can be as vicious as she is. They don’t like her and the smugness and hostility from the next cube can be felt through the whole office. It is almost enough to make you feel sorry for her.

I have kept my contact coolly professional. I have no use for this woman and talked to my manager before she came back. I needed to make sure that I would not have her in my department. This woman tried to file false sexual harassment charges against my brother. She claimed he was looking down her dress. He did nothing of the sort. This woman is “beautiful” in her eyes only. She has let herself go to the point of obesity. There is nothing worth looking at. She was angry because she had brought her son to the Emergency Room for something minor and he was kept waiting because of a couple of real emergencies. Her husband was screaming and cursing at the clerks and my brother told him to cut it out.

Any sympathy the woman could have gotten from me was destroyed when she decided to try and get my friend in trouble. The cash posting job is not easy. My friend is still learning. Considering the shear volume of the accounts we work on every day her posting is very accurate. She cares about her job performance and is working hard. This woman decided she was going to go through the posting and try and find any errors and report them to the manager. She is not going to drive my friend out of the office again. I have a guarantee from the manager that she will never be moved over to cash posting. My friend and I are the department and that is how it will stay.

As tense as the week was it did serve to reinforce some of my own beliefs. Ultimately you are in charge of your own life. You can make yourself happy or you can make yourself miserable. The type of person you really are shows in how you treat others. If you treat others with respect it is because you yourself live your life with respect for all living things. If you treat others with contempt and anger and brutality it is your own nature that is perverted. You have allowed the ugliness that exists to overcome the beauty that is all around us. I will continue to be polite and professional towards this woman but that is all I can really offer her. I choose not to have the ugliness that she has filled her life with near me. It has taken me many years to get real serenity in my life and I am not going to jeopardize that serenity. I often turn to my art work in times of stress. In this picture I took a garden and based it on a Tiffany lamp. All the textures are glass. I guess the moral of the story would be don’t throw rocks at glass flowers.

No comments: