Friday, September 4, 2009

Snickerdoodles


I went to bed last night with the scent of Snickerdoodles wafting through the house. Today is the last day for a friend at work who is moving to another company. Beth is a sweet person and we will miss her but the chance at a job in her major with more money can’t be passed up. Especially considering the stress of where she is working now. We are having a pitch-in today for her and I volunteered to bring cookies. Beth let me know that Snickerdoodles were her favorite cookie. So just having to have a good recipe in my tons of recipe cards, magazines, cookbooks, computer files, original cookbook, etc. I came home from having Chinese food with friends to baking. All under the supervision of Pixie who lucked out in not being named Snickerdoodle.

It got me thinking though because we call Pixie ”Pixie Doodle Wilson” and refer to her as a doodle. So what is a doodle? When you are on the phone and have a pad of paper and a pencil a doodle is random scribbling and drawing that probably would say more about your mental state then you would want known. ;-P. In the cat world a doodle would be just about like those drawings. You know random, off the wall, doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, and able to fill up a vast space of nothing with chaos.

Pixie is young and she still thinks that the day should be filled mainly with play and her reserved naps on Grandmother’s lap. Pixie will race through the house at full tilt chasing after her imaginary playmate. Sometimes the imaginary playmate chases her. She loves to lie in wait for my cat Merlin and then chase him up and down the stairs. Merlin isn’t amused. In fact Merlin gets the brunt of Pixie’s rambunctious nature. He is twice her size so she considers him a challenge. She loves to hide underneath the foot rest and wait for him to walk by so she can pounce on his rear end. I told her once not to hit Merlin in the face with her paw and she sat up on her back haunches and whacked him with both paws.

Chairs are her own personal jungle-gym. She will pull herself by the rungs and go over and up and around from chair to chair. She does something that my Mom calls “pony in the circus” where she will lie on her back and with grossly exaggerated head movements wash her little white spot on her chest. Of course she has to make sure she has an audience first.

Pixie likes to play hide. Unfortunately she isn’t really good at coming out at the “Pixie where are you” cries from my Mom. I have had to take more then one of my lunch periods coming home to help Mom find her cat. One time a repairman was there and she decided to hide behind the boxes under my brothers bed. Another time she had gotten herself closed into the bathroom cupboard and was cheerfully exploring. Another evening before my Mom retired she woke me up at midnight in a panic because Pixie had gotten out. I had to ask my Mom to keep quiet for a couple of minutes and sure enough there was the sound of Pixie’s bell and I pulled her from the bushes and gave her to Mom who was in tears.

So I guess you could define a doodle as a spicy little rascal who can drive you nuts. You can also define a doodle as a little black cat with big gold eyes and a couple little white spots who has given an 83 year old woman a new lease on life. That’s a happy thought to start out a three day weekend with.

No comments: