Friday, September 25, 2009

Winners




I was reminded of two big winners in my life this week. One was my late Dad and one was my cat Merlin. My week started out with me in the emergency room of the hospital I worked in. I had been fighting off horrible headaches and around 12:30 p.m. the combination of pain and nausea finally decided to get together with vertigo and make the room spin around. I felt like I was back in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. My boss grabbed hold of me before I could fall and my cube mate got my chair under me so I could sit down, another colleague called the Emergency Room to get a wheelchair. A CT scan showed some sort of bubble that needs further investigation but no bleeding. My doctor thinks the migraines have taken another phase and we need to try and figure out how to pursue them without beta blockers constricting the already constricted COPD scared airways. By the time I got home I needed something to cheer me up.

Merlin was there waiting for me to get home. He had tried that morning to make me stay home with him. He put his large paws over my arm and licked my hand and purred while cuddling next to me. He knew I shouldn’t go to work but you only get so much sick leave before they start thumbing through applications for your job. When I got back home he was my nurse as the pain medicine kicked into high gear and I was able to fall asleep. He has stayed close to me for the rest of the week.

Merlin has always been my cat. He is a full fledged Momma’s boy. He is friendly to my Mom but avoids my brother. Mike’s voice is just too loud and it reminds Merlin of my ex-husband. He has a tendency to distrust all men after my ex so never warmed up to Mike. When Pixie joined the household three years ago Merlin realize that this little black and white interloper was going to take over the household. Pixie is sweet natured and a little con artist. She will sit on Mom’s lap for hours, bonk noses, do cute things to make her laugh. Mom’s conversations are filled with Pixie as are Mike’s. I will give affection to Pixie but I also provide the only discipline she gets. Mom and Mike let her get away with everything. I make sure that Merlin gets his share of affection though.

Merlin knows he is second place as far as Mom and Mike are concerned. He is much more timid and doesn’t show affection easily except to me. He has feelings too. This week Merlin was the winner as my Mom realized that Pixie was a fair weather friend. If it is cold she will snuggle all night with her to keep warm but it she is warm she takes off and plays. Merlin on the other hand snuggles all night with me regardless of the temperature. Merlin also purrs for me, something Pixie does for Mike and myself occasionally but not for Mom. Of course there is the possibility that Mom’s hearing is so bad that she can’t hear the cat purr. So second class Merlin got recognized for his unconditional love.

The second winner was my Dad. Jason had stopped by to work on cutting down two trees that were dying and needed to come down. It turns out that he was one of my Dad’s students. My Dad was a superb teacher in the fields of Math and Science. Dad was one of those rare teachers who made you want to learn. His enthusiasm for learning was contagious. I have run into several former students of my Dad in the years I have lived here. They all talk about what a wonderful teacher he was and how interesting he made things. I inherited my love of reading from my Dad. He awoke in me very early the constant thirst for knowledge. I had to explain to my Mom that Jason’s statement, “Mr. Wilson sure was a swell dude,” was a very high compliment.

So here is to this weeks winners in my household. To Merlin for never failing to show unconditional love and my Dad whose ability to make learning exciting for being one swell dude.

No comments: