Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Day Before

"We gain our freedom when we realize our most true nature." Rabindranath Tagore

Today is National Chocolate Day. I think it is about time they celebrated one of the major food groups. I remember my niece when she was around 15 or so told me she knew what the five major food groups were chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, and pizza. Smart girl! I love chocolate especially dark chocolate mixed with either orange or raspberry. A lot of my dessert recipes feature chocolate and the secret ingredient in my chili recipe is cocoa powder. The recipe is below in case you feel like making a batch now that the cooler weather is here.

I spent yesterday cleaning the upstairs including the disaster area we call the bathroom I share with my older brother. I figured it had to be done before I have surgery. I didn't relish the thought of using a bathroom that was that dirty and had that much mold with open wounds that could get infected. I am really sore today since I had to get on my hands and knees and scrub that floor to get off all the powder and hairspray.

Today I plan on doing my shopping at Wal-Mart, doing my pre-op prep, packing for tomorrow, and vegging out watching Doctor Who videos. I watched some last night and plan to watch a whole bunch more today. I am nervous about tomorrow so plan on distracting myself as much as possible to avoid thinking about it. With the number of people praying for me I'm sure every thing will go alright but I'll still be glad when it is all over.

Out of This World Chili

Recipe By     :Michele Wilson
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:15
Categories    : Meat: Beef

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------     ------------        --------------------------------
2           pounds         beef stew meat, R-T-C -- cubed
29         ounces         no salt added stewed tomatoes -- drained and diced
31         ounces         low sodium kidney beans, canned -- drained
4           ounces         green chilies -- drained and diced
8           ounces         no salt added tomato sauce
1           cup              red wine
1           large            onion -- finely chopped
6           large            garlic cloves -- minced
1           large            green bell pepper -- seeded and diced
1           teaspoon      salt
1           teaspoon      paprika
1/4        teaspoon      freshly ground black pepper
2           teaspoons    ground cumin
4           tablespoons  chili powder
1/4        teaspoon       crushed red pepper
1/2        teaspoon       Tabasco sauce
2           tablespoons   cocoa powder
2           teaspoons     dried oregano
2           tablespoons    low sodium Worcestershire sauce
1           tablespoon      olive oil
2           ounces           four-cheese Mexican-style shredded cheese

Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add meat, onion, garlic and green pepper. Cook until meat is browned on all sides and vegetables are softened. Drain.

Add rest of ingredients except kidney beans and cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for two hours stirring every fifteen minutes.

Add kidney beans. Uncover and simmer for two more hours, again stirring every 15 minutes.

Serve with cheese sprinkled over top.

Description:   "Slow cooking for a long time makes this one of the best chilies you will ever taste!"
Source:   "Healthy Food That Tastes So Good!"
Copyright: "Michele Wilson © 2003"
Start to Finish Time:   "2:30"
                                

Per Serving : 431 Calories; 14g Fat (29.0% calories from fat); 39g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 78mg Cholesterol; 470mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

The real counter is 6297

No comments: