Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Castles Made of Sand

I finished doing the art work for my poem last night. This was my Dad’s favorite poem of everything I had written. He said that he really resonated with the poem because sometimes he felt that in his life he was making castles out of sand but at least he had dreams. I’ve been thinking these last couple of days as to what I can do to help make things better. We are all reeling from Arizona. I’m realistic to know that I am only one person. I may not be able to change the world but I can try and reach out and share what I know and can do and hope that like with the poem for my Dad that it may resonate and help someone feel better about themselves.

I don’t do very many overtly political diaries. I tend to talk about things that I understand the best. I’ve spoken often about being a caregiver to my Mom and trying to deal with her death. It is an experience that many of us will be going through especially with the aging of the Baby Boomers like myself. We are facing elderly parents and the pain of losing them. My hope is that by sharing what I went through that people who are going through or will be going through the same thing may find something in my experience that helps them in their lives.

I share a lot of my art and photography and recipes because they are things that are important to me as a person. It is part of what makes me what I am. I know that their are people who like seeing my work. As far as I am concerned art can’t really be art if there is no one to look at it.

I am owned by two cats now so I do “Pootie” diaries. With moody Merlin and the very aptly named Pixie I have a wealth of writing material currently taking naps on my bed. It is also a way of keeping my Mom alive in my heart. I promised her when she was alive that I would always take care of her Pixie. I asked for a few minutes before they took the body away and talked to her. I had told her I loved her before I went to bed that evening and as with my Dad, who had an email that I know he read the day he died, they both died hearing that I loved them and that is very important. There are no guarantees in life so take the chance to tell those you love that you love them every day. I told my Mom that I would miss her and that I was so happy to have been able to come and stay with her and help take care of her.

I have plans for my life now. I am going to be moving to North Carolina to be near my niece and her husband and their three children. I’ve already been welcomed to the art community down there. I have made friends here that I will meet face to face when I move. I hope to help my niece who works on the homeless problem. I don’t know if the castles I am making are made of sand or not but I figure if the waves knock one down I can always build another one. Like my Dad I am not afraid to dream.

Castles Made of Sand

By Michele Wilson


I don't know where I'm going,
And I don't know where I am.

I've been following this dream so long
That I can barely stand.

I don't know what tomorrow brings
Or what the fates have planned,

I can only wait and see
If my castles are made of sand.

Dreams are made of clouds
And waves with silvery crests.
Dreams are made of star dust
And touch with a warm caress.

Dreams are made of love
And hopes you can't forget.

Dreams can keep you going
When there is nothing left.


My dreams have kept me going
Through long and lonely years.

Dreams have kept my faith alive
And dried my many tears.
But dreams are gone by morning

And daylight brings new fears,

That my castle walls will crumble

And leave me standing here.


My castles may be made of sand

And won't stand the test of time.

At least I dared to dream
And the memories are all mine.

For if you can not dream,
If you dare not cross the line
Into hopes and promises

Both subtle and sublime;

Your life will be as empty

As that lonely stretch of land,
Without even the beauty

Of a castle made of sand.

No comments: