Sunday, October 22, 2006

Teachers

"Your teacher can open the door, but you must enter by yourself." Chinese Proverb

I really felt like an oddball when I was in high school because I believed that school was for learning not just extra curricular activities. I was blessed with some very good teachers in grade school, high school and college. A good teacher can present mind opening possibilities to a student and inspire the student to continue to learn and explore.

One of my favorite areas of exploration is space. I get excited when I see pictures from Mars and the solar system from the probes we have sent out. I am a self admitted Treker and embrace the idea of exploring new worlds.

I am also fascinated by psychic phenomenon. My Dad left one of the best collections of books on ghosts, ESP, and psychic phenomenon around. He was a physicist yet he was also fascinated by the paranormal. I guess Halloween time is a good time to be exploring things that go bump in the night.

I am drawn to the intangible the not easily proved. I like exploring the unusual. The string theory that is now being discussed by physicists blows my mind. It is like watching all the science fiction books and movies that I have devoured over the years suddenly becoming plausible. The paranormal holds an equal fascination for me because it isn't normal and try as we may we haven't been able to force it into a rational box.

Some people can not understand why I believe in God. It is one of those things you can't explain rationally. It comes down to faith either you have it or you don't. I know in my heart God exists and loves me flawed as I am. I know I can pray to Him and He will take care of me and help me through whatever I am facing. He is helping me now.

Sometimes you just have to have faith. In my life I try to have Jesus be my techer.

No comments: