Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Rainbow Bridge

"It is not possible to find peace in the soul without security and harmony among the people." Dalai Lama

A few years ago after I lost my cat Sasha my brother sent me a link to a website called The Rainbow Bridge that spoke of a place this side of Heaven where pets that are loved go and are restored to health and where they wait in a beautiful place for their owners to be reunited with them. I was reminded of the site this last week when my friend at work was grieving over her dog that she had nursed through a final illness and had to have put to sleep. Some of the people at work were laughing at her tears but I understood exactly how she felt. I did the picture The Rainbow Bridge for her and printed out the description of the place. She put the picture up at her desk at work and said it really helped her.

Pets have a way of wiggling their way into your hearts. I know my cats have.

Zonker was my first cat and he was a huge red orange tabby with gold eyes and an arrogance that you wouldn't believe. He didn't think he was King of the Neighborhood. It was the whole Universe for him. He was still my arrogant boy however and it hurt to lose him. This cat needed nobody except his royal self except around one in the morning when he got lonely and need me to rub his ears.

Sasha was my part Siamese/Abyssinian/Tabby bundle of personality. He was a house of fire and loved people. He had so much personality that when I was running my conventions he was our mascot. I have pictures of him with my guest stars. I'll never forget Colin Baker leading my staff into meowing Happy Birthday for Sasha at the end of convention birthday party that I threw for him. He is the cat that I still dream about and I miss him terribly.

Casper was my pure white "Hoosier" cat although he never lived in Indiana. He was made to be a good old boy farm cat. Mellow. Laid back. Loved to eat and sleep. He had been abused by his first owner and had a broken ear and bad hip because of it but he still remained a sweet cat. He was so white that when the sun hit him he had a rainbow glow about him. He was a soft old marshmallow.

Merlin is my big boy. He has grown from this little puff ball to 17 pounds of rather chubby cat. He is a momma's boy and will whine unless I am where he is at. He loves to cuddle and get as close to me as he can at night. Spoiled rotten of course but since I spoiled him I can't complain really.

Pixie is the newest member of the household. She is really my Mom's cat and has Mom wrapped around her little paw. I think she has added time to my Mom's life and I know she has added a lot of joy to her life. She is sweet, mischievous, and into everything.

Five cats. All different. All loved. In the book The Little Prince the title character is upset to find out that his flower is actually a rose and not unique to the world. He comes to understand however that it is unique because he has loved and cared for it. He has become responsible for it. When we allow ourselves to become responsible for a pet they become unique and are no longer just a cat or dog but something special and unique. They brighten up our lives and we have a joy in us that others do not. I understand and feel for my friend grieving over her dog. She has known a joy that those women who were laughing will never know.

No comments: