Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tuesday Afternoon

"The moment you think only of yourself, the focus of your whole mind narrows, and because of this narrow focus uncomfortable things can appear huge and bring you fear and discomfort and a sense of feeling overwhelmed by misery. The moment you think of others with a sense of caring, however, your mind widens. Within that wider angle, your own problems appear to be of no significance, and this makes a bigger difference." Dalai Lama

I have a challenge coming up. The lady who heads our two person department is going to be on vacation for a week and a half and I will be left alone to try and post all the cash and adjustments by myself. The higher ups are starting to realize it has to be a two person job and my boss is insisting that a couple of others step up to the bat and help me out while my partner is gone. I made it to the doctor today and hopefully the new medicine will knock off the bronchitis so I'll feel like staying late if I need to but I am going to make sure that I get help if I start to fall behind. I am good at my job but I'm not Superwoman in spite of what Pixie thinks.

As you can tell from the blog’s title for today I am a huge Moody Blues fan. Their music has been a big part of my life over the years. I have had the privilege of seeing them several times in concert and they never disappoint. I have seen the band in several great venues including Caesar’s Palace in South Lake Tahoe, Red Rocks Auditorium in Denver, the Hollywood Bowl, and the Concord Pavilion to name a few. Nights in White Satin will always rank as one of my favorite songs.

I was thinking about today's quote from the Dalai Lama. Like many I have been reading about actor Owen Wilson. I loved him in the Jackie Chan films Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights. He is a very talented young man. Having battled depression myself I can understand how it can overcome and lead you into a despair where you don't feel that living is an option. I certainly hope Owen can get the help he needs to overcome his demons.

You need to think of others and their problems or you will allow yourself to become overwhelmed by your own fears. Fears that are kept to yourself in the dark will grow to impossible proportions. You need to ask for help when you are down and you need to be willing to help others when they are down. As the U2 song says Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.

The picture is called That's Why They Call It The Blues from the Elton John song. And now you know three of my favorite musical artists.

The real counter is 5957

No comments: