Sunday, September 21, 2008

Live Long and Prosper

"The resistance to the unpleasant situation is the root of suffering." Ram Dass

"Reach out and create positive atmosphere." Dalai Lama

Last week an event happened that really made me happy. On September 14th one of my favorite performers got married, George Takei. George married his partner of 21 years Brad Altman. Of course there has been the flurry of bigoted comments from homophobes who can not stand the idea of someone else being happy. Of someone else being able to enjoin with the person they love in legally binding show of that love.

I have been a long time Trekker and Whovian. I've worked many science fiction conventions and have had the privilege of working with George several times over the years. You couldn't ask for a nicer, more down to earth person to work with. He loves life and his fans and it shows. He cares as has been proven by his participation in the political and social life and in trying to help others. He is a community organizer. A community organizer is a good person. George is a good person. I am very happy for him.

The blogs have been getting very political lately as you can imagine including mine. I'm not making an apologies for my political views. I am a child of the 60's and the family’s token liberal and proud of it. My youngest brother got me into blogging and his blog is the political opposite of mine. Does it mean I am angry with him? No. It means we don't agree on politics. It isn't the only thing we disagree on. I love the Dave Clark 5 and he still doesn't. ;-)

You can disagree with someone without personal animosity. I'm sure Dude is just as frustrated with my politics sometimes as I am with his but it doesn't change the way we feel about each other. You have to hold onto the love even if you are on opposite ends of the political, religious, or what-ever spectrum.

So George and Brad congratulations. Jerry keep on blogging and we will cancel each others votes out again this presidential year. As for me today I'm sticking in Doctor Who tapes again this afternoon and knitting away. As you can see I am making progress but there are still ten color groups and the fringe to go and it needs done by Halloween. I promised my niece. Ah yes Princess Bride wedding dresses and Doctor Who scarves. As the song says What I Did for Love.

No comments: