Monday, May 1, 2006

Music

I have always loved music and have been told I have a pretty voice. One thing I wish I knew how to do was read music. I can play guitar a little also. Of course I could probably get better at the guitar if the friend who has had my guitar for the last seven years would send it like she has promised.

My niece asked me to sing "The Irish Wedding Song" for her wedding in June. This will be the first time I've sung at a wedding in many years. The last time was for close friends in 1998. I will probably end up doing the song for the wedding acapella the way things are going.

I usually put on music when I get home from work. I find it easier to do art work or writing if I have music in the background. My taste in music is eclectic. Right now I have Hal Ketchum on. I also love Celtic music especially Clannad and Lorena McKennit. My favorite rock group is U2 and I alternate between thinking "Joshua Tree" and "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is their best. I also like Elton John, Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Noel Harrison, Elvis, and Roger Whittaker when I'm going for male voices. I like Reba McIntire when I'm in a country mood which isn't often.

I guess because I write poetry I am impressed by artists who can write really good lyrics. I also like a melody that can be easily sung. I often sing along to my CDs. Music is something that eases the burden of caring for my Mom and the other frustrations that life brings.

The picture is called "Romantic Afternoon" and what can be more romantic then Paris? The gas planet? I didn't say it was a picture of Paris France now did I?

 

No comments: