Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Pushing to the Limit

Sometimes we need to push ourselves to our limits to see what we are really capable of doing. I had done flower arrangements for the home before but I have never done flowers for a wedding. My niece decided she wanted silk flowers and asked me to do them. Of course I said yes. Looking at the pile of flowers, ribbon, wire, cutters, floral tape, etc. this weekend I had a moment of panic. What had I gotten myself into? I had never done this before what was I thinking?

After a few deep breaths I decided I would start with the easier things and work my way up. Six orchid boutinerres, one special rose one for the groom, four hair combs, four bridesmaid's fans, one throw away bouquet and one cascade bridal bouquet later I was able to look over my handiwork with a big sigh of relief and a huge smile of accomplishment. I had done it! Everything was absolutely gorgeous!

It would have been easy to give up and have someone who knew what they were doing make the flowers but I had promised my niece I would do them. Pushed to the edge of my creative talent I found that there was new depths to my talent that I hadn't realized were there. I can do floral wedding designs. Maybe the chuckling I could barely hear at the edge of sound was my guardian angel and my Dad laughing because they had faith I could do it and knew I was stubborn enough that I would persevere and see it through.

 

No comments: