Sunday, May 21, 2006

Roads

"No matter what road I travel, I'm going home." Shinso

I can't say I really felt that way yesterday. I went to a nearby large town to get the material for my niece's wedding gown. On the way back I missed the turnoff to get home and went about twenty five miles out of my way before I realized that I had to turn around. I kept attributing the fact that what I was seeing didn't register to what I had seen on the way in to the fact that I was very tired. Finally the sight of a bridge convinced me because I would have had a firm recognition of a bridge that size.

In my trip yesterday I found myself in Amish country. I spotted a young Amish boy in homespun clothes pushing a wooden wheelbarrow. He must have been about fifteen. I spotted a father and son in a horse drawn buggy. I was impressed by the fact that the cars behind him were not trying to pass unless it was safe and did not try to scare the horse.

In our hurry up and go faster technological world it is amazing that there still lives a people who are content in life to follow the old ways. They have no need of the fancy materialistic trappings that infuse modern life. They live with the land and their belief in their God. They have each other and the fruits of their labors and that makes them happy. I have to wonder if maybe the Amish and others who live close to nature and spiritual beliefs have the right idea. Does all of our wealth and possessions makes us happy? Is the race to keep up with the Joneses really necessary? Where does happiness lie?

I find happiness in helping others. The wedding dress I will make for my niece is going to be time consuming as will making all the flowers for the wedding party but I will find happiness in creating them. I will find happiness on her wedding day when she marries a wonderful man who will treasure her and her children in a way her first husband never did.

I find happiness in my art and writing and knowing that it makes people happy to read what I write and look at my pictures. I find a solace in art that has helped me through many a rough time. Many times a look at nature is enough to inspire me to new artwork.

As my glimpse at the Amish life reminded me yesterday sometimes it is life's simple pleasures that are the best. The picture is called "The Road Less Traveled."

 

No comments: