Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sometimes

"Ideals are very important in one's life. Without ideals you cannot move - whether you achieve them or not is immaterial. But one must try and approximate them." Dalai Lama

Sometimes you just have to take risks. If you know something is not right then you have to speak up even if you have to take a big risk to do so.

When the hospital where I worked refused to listen when I told them I had not been examined in their emergency room and that the charges were wrong they ignored me. They privately said I was right but they refused to drop the $60.00 copay. Now I can certainly afford the $60.00 but the principle of thing was that the charges were, in my view, fraudulent. I ended up filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General's Office. I got a response today and they are crediting the $60.00. If they had acted when I first asked them I would never have had to file the suits. I could not in good conscience pay them when they did nothing.

It was a very risky thing to do suing one's own employers but I was not going to compromise my principles and pay for something that did not occur. If I had paid it would have said that I condone what happened. In the end I won because they really could not prove I had been treated.

Courage is a scary thing sometimes. The picture is called Guardian of Courage.

The real counter is 6106.

No comments: