Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Age of Innocence

Some things are burned into your minds and will never be erased. Forty-two years ago today, I was just starting high school and finishing a history class. An announcement came over the loud speakers that everyone was to meet in the boys gym. No explanation. Like teenagers today we were wondering and speculating what in the world was going on. We took our places and looked over to where the microphone had been set up and noticed that some of the teachers were crying. We knew whatever had happened was serious and the room quieted. Our principal told us that in Dallas President Kennedy had been shot and killed. School was dismissed for the day.

For many of us that was the day that the age of innocence died. Kennedy's era was often called Camelot and he was our King and Jackie our Queen. He was young and dynamic and idealistic and even as teenagers who couldn't vote for him we still related to him. One thousand days is a very short time to make your claim on people's hearts but JFK had ours.

If someone were to ask me to describe my generation I would say we were the idealists who were realistic enough to know that you had to fight for what you believe in. We were the age of civil rights and the Peace Corp. We believed in the shining Camelot that Kennedy promised us and his death made us determined to make it a reality for everyone. We marched, we protested, we talked, we worked, some died fighting for what they believed in, and I believe we made a difference in this world. I believe we made the world a little better of a place to be.

For many of us that caring for others became a permanent part of our lives. In everything I do I try to make sure that I help as many people as I can. A year ago I gave up my independence and moved in with my mother to help take care of her in her declining years. I don't regret a moment of that decision. She needs me and as long as she is alive I will be here for her.

For many of us on that day 42 years ago our childhood ended early. That tragedy however made us strong and showed us that the ability to love and care for others is the legacy of that "one shining moment that is known as Camelot."

No comments: