Saturday, February 13, 2010

Changing Art and Life




Nothing stays the same. Life is always changing sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. You can accept change or you can rail against it for all the good that will do. While being forced to wait for my art computer to be fixed right I decided to do a review of the art work I currently have. Changes will be coming there.

When I could no longer do the pen and ink etchings I use to do because the arthritis was making it impossible to hold the pen for the length of time to do one of those etchings I was really sad. Art has always been a part of my life. I have expanded definition of art to include sewing, crocheting, knitting, stitchery and even cooking. Anything where you can take raw ingredients and turn them into something new and exciting is art as far as I’m concerned. My niece’s wedding dress is a work of art. I took a long piece of material and several types of trim and it became a Princess Bride dress.

I have all of my art work on the old computer because I have a Professional grade printer attached here and I can print and sell the art from this computer. Since I switched to graphic art work done on computer I have the luxury now of going back and making changes. This is a good thing as far as I’m concerned because it not only allows me to make changes it in a way forces me to look at what I’ve done in light of new models and new technology and I have to answer the question of if I’m really satisfied with what I’ve done in the past. In many cases I am but in just as many more I can honestly say I would like the art to be different. It can be made better.

A case in point is my picture “The Queen”. The original was done early in my graphic art career over ten years ago. In the time since then the models have improved dramatically as my checkbook shows with the purchases from DAZ. I was able to redo this picture before my other computer gave up the ghost. The spirit is still there but it is stuck in an endless loop of Windows XP. It is one of the pictures that I use to illustrate my fantasy short story series called “Sean’s Stories” found on my website at
http://artbymichelewilson.com/stories.htm. Queen Niri is the High Queen of the Elves in her realm and she needed to be beautiful. While fully realizing that I did the best I could when I did the original I wanted more of the picture and with work it is now more what I wanted.

Does the change in a picture mean that I am no longer happy with my art? No it means I am willing to change what I have for the better because I now can. I did the best I could at the time but if I want to continue to call myself an artist I need to be able to grow. It is that way if life too. I want to continue to grow as a person. I need to be able to adapt and change. I need to learn more patience for example.

So as I wait for our tech at work to fix the computer system there that has been infected by a malicious virus so he can find time to come over and fix my home computer I go through my art work here and decide what changes I want to make. I am learning patience because I can’t make the changes until the art computer is fixed. And of course I always have the old standby of putting “Doctor Who” DVDs in this weekend to relax. Some things change but a Whovian is a Whovian forever.

No comments: