Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Games People Play


Late last week I was talking with my manager and she asked me to take a new, important position in the Business Office. I am to be head of the Denial Management team which currently consists of me reporting to her. What makes this so important is that we are going to try and discover the reasons why claims fail to get paid the first time around. As a small hospital we are hurting financially like many of the small hospitals around the country. The insurance companies are using every trick in the book and inventing new ones to keep from paying claims. If we can identify some of the problems we can correct the errors before they happen and hopefully our financial situation will improve.

I started this job last Friday and although I am back up Cash Poster I am really excited about the prospect of being able to help in this way. I almost feel like the Sherlock Holmes of our hospital now. This new promotion has been treated with hostility from some of my coworkers. Their are some people in that office whose feel it is their mission in life to cause as many problems for the other people as possible. They will run to the manager and try and get coworkers in trouble pointing out the least little error as a reason why this person should not be working there. I have been their target for years now.

I have always refused to play this game. I believe that the office needs to work together as a team. It doesn’t matter who created the error it needs to be fixed and I will quietly fix errors I find. The only time I will go to my manager is if I don’t know how to fix the error and need her guidance. I firmly believe this is the reason I am now in the position I have been promoted to. My manager hates this game playing and she wanted someone who was willing to put in the hard work and more importantly will work with her to try and find answers. The people who are glaring at me now realize that with this position I will be able to identify errors that they have made. They know that I won’t use this position for revenge but I will do my job right. It is my responsibility to identify errors and as my manager said it doesn’t really matter who made the error what matters is trying to get them fixed and be proactive in preventing them in the future.

I don’t like playing games with people’s lives. It is one of the reasons I have been a political activist since High School. I have a dislike of politics for politics sake. When I vote for someone I expect them to act in the interests of the people. I think too many politicians find that naïve. What they fail to realize is that I and other voters can just as easily vote against them next time. I am especially disgusted with Congress and their failure to act on the many problems facing this country.

For me life means helping people, animals and our planet. I have always had cats in my life and try to rescue pound cats when I can. My Merlin is a pound cat rescue. I sometimes wonder if one of the reasons he is such a mama’s boy and will whine if I’m not near him is because he recognizes that in this house that Pixie is the favorite. I have to admit that Pixie is very loving and will go to everybody while Merlin wants only to be near me. I think he recognizes that with me he will always have unconditional love. He isn’t mistreated by mother and brother he just realizes that they love Pixie more. That she is “their” cat.

I don’t make a lot of money and my new position won’t pay any more since wages are frozen where I work but I try and send money to help in feeding and taking care of the poor here and around the world and to people who help rescue animals and try and protect the environment.

I like playing games that are actually games. I am a huge fan of Farmville and loved my Mom’s reaction when I showed her my farm. She took one look at my green,alien cow that gives “milktonium” and decided she would rather get her milk at Aldis. I don’t, however, play games when it comes to people’s lives. I am shrugging off the hostility from some of the people at work. I don’t have time in my life for the games they play. I don’t have time for the jealousy. Life is too short and I have too much that I want to accomplish. I have too many people whom I care about. I have too much art that I want to create. There are too many things to photograph. Their are too many friends to communicate with. We have a planet to save. Why waste time playing games that aren’t any fun? The picture is called “Jealousy” and was my way of de-stressing after a particularly bad day at work. I think creating is more fun then destroying.

No comments: