Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Is May Over With Yet?


My brother asked the other evening if we could just not have to deal with May any more. Could we just go from April to June. I know what he means. On May 4, 1999 we suddenly lost Dad to a heart attack. He was planting a shrub and keeled over and was dead before he hit the ground. He had turned 80 in January and was so proud of the that. On May 26, 2010 Mike came home he didn’t see Mom but he saw Pixie walking out of the bedroom and went in to see if Mom was okay. She had died suddenly during the night. I am spending this May going through all of their things so we can sell their house and I can move.

I have been watching the Harry Potter movies. I wish real life was able to wave a wand and get things to do what we wanted. I want a “sort” spell that would go through this house and sort everything out and get things where they need to be now. I need a “pack” spell that would pack up what I am taking to North Carolina. I need a “help me” spell and the people I need to sell the house, fix the move, get the apartment ready, sell the excess furniture, etc. so that I don’t have to try and do it all appear and do their jobs. Most of all I want a “restore” spell so that Mom and Dad are alive and healthy and all the plans we had could be fulfilled.

Unfortunately my life isn’t a fantasy movie. I feel like just crawling back in bed and staying there until June but that isn’t feasible. If I don’t do what needs to be done then things will never get done. I need to finish going through their things. I need to finish getting the house ready to be sold. I need to get my things moved down to North Carolina. I need to feel like the whole world isn’t yelling at me. I have never felt so frazzled as I do now. I took the time off in the winter to just get through the holidays. My plan was always to get things ready in the Spring and then Spring came before I was ready. I’ve gone from thinking I can handle everything to wondering if I can handle anything.

Maybe I should just take today off. It is not the best day to go through my parent’s things. I should curl up with a book and hold the cats. Both of them are restless and wanting affection today.

Is it June yet?

No comments: