Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Beginnings

My Oriental Wisdom calendar has a Buddhist proverb that says, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." I like that quote because you can't teach a closed mind. The mind needs to be open to new ideas before it can learn anything.

A couple of days ago I read a very exciting science article. Scientists at a news conference at Princeton University presented the "smoking gun" in the big bang theory. I am fascinated by astrophysics and astronomy. My Dad was a physicist so that area of science was one that I could talk to him about. The idea that the entire universe could explode out of a primordial atom is mind boggling.

My belief in science does not negate my belief in God. If you truly believe that God is all powerful then you have to believe that he is powerful enough to create that primordial atom that exploded into the multitude of life as we see it now. All of life from something so tiny. What an extraordinary creation that is.

Many people are afraid of science because they fear that it diminishes or negates God. I find that on the contrary science shows how powerful God is. We have evolved and learned enough that we should be able to take the complexities of science and be able to see God's hand in its beginnings. I remember a scientist remarking that even if you take our universe back scientifically as far into the past as you can you still run into God. I think that science shows a more powerful God then the pseudo science of creationism or intelligent design. I feel both of those beliefs negate the true power and magnificence of God. The God I believe in is powerful enough to create one atom and let it explode and evolve into the complexity of the universe around us. Why would I want a lesser God?

The picture is called "Birth of a Galaxy."

No comments: