Friday, June 2, 2006

Two Out of Three

Remember the old Meatloaf song "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad?" His "Bat Out of Hell" is one of my favorite albums. Any way I am at that point in the wedding department. I finished my Niece's bridal veil last night. What I didn't realize when I bought the material was that I was going to have to do the whole thing by hand in order for it to look right. Two very long yards of material hemmed on four sides, hot glue gun at ready for the decorations and voila a crown fit for a Princess Bride. The flowers, the veil and this weekend the dress. Almost home.

My niece has used the word amazing several times in the last few days to describe me. I got a one word WOW!!!! from a friend over my latest picture. I am feeling real good about myself today. I am accomplishing things that I wasn't sure I could pull off.

What a wonderful and complex thing the human brain is. We have been given such a tremendous gift in our mental abilities. We can use that brain to imagine and create extraordinary things.

It saddens me that one of the first things that is always cut in schools that are strapped for cash is the arts. We need to be encouraging our children to create. Art is important in our lives. Art, whether it be painting, sculpture, singing, acting, writing, or any of the thousands of variation there of, enriches our lives. There is too much emphasis on the ugly in life and the arts are despirately needed to show us the beauty that exists.

 

No comments: