Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Renewal

As I was going through old art last night the Bryce rendering of one of the pictures I wanted to redo turned up missing. I lost a hard drive a few years ago and they were not able to retrieve the data. The model was most likely on that drive. I have the picture that came from it but not the model that I could make changes to. I decided to recreate the scene from scratch. The picture was for my short story "Mirror Image." I will probably redo all of the pictures that I did that I no longer have models for.

I look at this new venture as a lesson in renewal. To keep life from becoming stagnant a person has to be open to renewal and new things. Life is an on going process. I am a person who is open to new things, new adventures, new ideas. I don't want life to be boring.

I had a moment of wonder when I decided to redo some of my old pictures. I wondered whether this meant I was running out of new ideas or not. I know now that I still have plenty of ideas for pictures but that I also needed to reexamine some of the older work that I wasn't satisfied with. Just because something is older it doesn't mean that it can't be improved. Some things like classic coke should be left alone of course but there was no compelling reason for me not to redo some of my art. As I have learned new techniques I want to be able to use them. The renewal of my artwork is an affirmation of my abilities as they have grown as an artist. I hope I never lose the ability to renew in my personal life as well.

 

No comments: