Thursday, June 22, 2006

When I'm 64

I grew up with the Beatles and have the original vinyl LP with "When I'm 64" on it. I was reminded of that song last night when I was on-line trying to find secondary insurance for my mother. The company she is with now has suddenly not included her doctor of 25 years as a provider. She doesn't want to change doctors and I don't blame her.

There were several places that advertised instant quotes however once I put in the information for her I got the message that "We don't give quotes for people over 65." It is just the latest in the corporate view that the elderly don't count in life.

It is hard for the elderly to make it in this expensive world. Many of them only have social security to live on and that barely pays the expenses to keep them alive. My mother still works at the age of 80. Her 90 year old sister has to depend on her children and grandchildren to help pay for her medicine that keeps her alive.

It is a sad state of affairs that the elderly in this country are not revered as they are in many old world and Asian countries. Too often you read about the elderly being swindled. Too often you read about the elderly being assaulted. Too often you read about the elderly being stuck in a nursing home that is badly run and the elderly more inmates then patients.

One thing I would like to change in the country is our attitude towards our elders. I would like to see the younger people take care of the elderly better then they do now. I would like to see the stories that the elderly have to tell recorded and passed on to the succeeding generations. One day we too will be among the elderly and for some of us it is coming faster then we want. As the Bible says "As you sow so shall you reap."

The picture is called "Doorways."

 

No comments: