Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Childhood's End

"Never lose hope. Your soul, being a reflection of the ever joyous Spirit, is in essence, happiness itself." Paramahansa Yogananda

"True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realized." Dalai Lama

When Arthur C. Clarke's 2010 came out I got it as a Christmas gift one year. I had had Christmas at my house and had finally cleaned up and thought I'd read a couple of chapters. Well 3 o'clock rolled around as I finished the book. I couldn't put it down. I had always loved science fiction and my favorite author was Clarke. He passed away yesterday at the age of 90. I was saddened to hear of his passing.

I have a great many of Clarke's books and he is one of the authors whom I will read over and over again. I also have some of his science books. The geo-stationary  communications satellites that we take for granted now were proposed by Clarke. In addition to being a science fiction writer he was also a scientist. He was like the great Isaac Asimov in that respect. They finally decided who was the best when Asimov dedicated something to Clarke as “the greatest science fiction author from the greatest science author.”

I discovered science fiction when I was eight years old and to this day I love it. Over the years I have had a chance to meet many of the greats in the field. I regret that Arthur C. Clarke wasn't one of them. I will continue to treasure his books and reread them over the years.

The picture was named after one of Clarke's most famous books Childhood's End.

The real counter is 6915.

No comments: