Thursday, March 13, 2008

Faking Out Computers

"Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion." Dalai Lama

"If objects and people evoke attachment in us, we do not understand the true nature of phenomena. We can only become detached by realizing the true nature of things." Dalai Lama

I figured out how to fake out the computer at work so I don't have to spend an hour downloading Medicare every day. We have the world's worst computer system and no one knows how to make the stupid thing work. Of course if they had bought a real computer system to start with they wouldn't be in the mess they are in now. You get what you pay for.

I also figured out how to fake out AOL and get the Journal up and running when it doesn't want to cooperate. One of my favorite programming books starts out with "a computer has an IQ of zero" and I usually add that is only on a good day. Most of the time it is in the negative numbers.

One thing about computers is that they are so literal. They will do exactly what you tell them to do and if you don't give them very specific instructions they won't do what you want them to do. They can't think. Sort of like the idiots who post in newsgroups without knowing what they are talking about. ;-)

I like the quotes from the Dalai Lama. He is certainly a fascinating man. I really don't know if there is such a thing as reincarnation but I have always thought that I would like to come back as my cat and someone else can come back as me. I really spoil my cats but then what is the use of having pets if you don't take the time to give them affection and care? I know Merlin is certainly spoiled and my Mom has Pixie spoiled rotten. It was my decision though to get a cat and I feel obligated to give Merlin the care he deserves. I picked him out although I must admit I didn't think that the little puff ball I first picked up would get quite as big as he has. If he gets any bigger the zoo may come looking for him.

I'm not one to get real attached to possessions but I found something the other day that I really treasure. It is my Dad's old Parker fountain pen. This pen is old enough that it doesn't take cartridges but has a refillable cartridge in it. I remember Dad using that pen a lot and it is very precious to me for that reason. It is the little things that have a history to them and bring back happy memories that are important in life.

The picture is called Shelter From The Storm since we are getting Spring storms now.

The real counter is 6875.

No comments: