Sunday, March 2, 2008

Sherlock Holmes

"Clay is formed into a vessel. It is because of its emptiness that the vessel is useful." Lao-Tzu

"Pearls lie not on the seashore. If thou desirest one thou must dive for it." Chinese saying

Today in the silly calendar days is Sherlock Holmes Day. I have read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories and do admire them. I think the best portrayal of Homes has to be the one with the late Jeremy Brett. I thought he was perfect. I am a great reader of mysteries. What I am not great at is figuring out who the perpetrator is. I usually guess wrong. I read mysteries for the pleasure of them and not because I think I can outdo the sleuth.

There is no mystery as to why this blog isn't updated as much as it should be however. When it takes almost 10 minutes for AOL to not only find the blog but to give me the add feature my legendary non patience level has been exceeded and I usually go away grumbling I'll do it later. AOL can find the ads for Match.Com without any problems though.

Garfield had a funny one yesterday with a mouse asking Garfield what its like to be a cat and Garfield responding that he didn't know he hadn't been awake enough to find out. My immediate thought was Merlin who spends most of his life sleeping. I have to admit though he has been cuddled next to me all day Friday and Saturday while I was recovering from intestinal flu and sleeping a lot myself. As much as we tease Merlin about his weight, laziness, and whining he is still my cat and I love him. He is a definite Momma's boy and wants me near him at all times. I know he is spoiled but since I spoiled him I can't complain too much.

The first quote today is from the Tao Te Ching, a book I have read and am still trying to grasp the concept of completely. I do understand the concept of space as it applies to my art. I had an art teacher tell me that I had the best sense of space of any student he had ever had. I know what to leave out and try not to crowd my pictures with things just for the sake of having something there. I try and incorporate "space" into my art.

The second quote is one that teaches us again that we need to look for the good things in life. We should not expect that the world be handed us on a silver platter. We need to make the good things happen by our own efforts.

Life is fragile and can end quickly. When I was a teenager one of my favorite groups to listen to was the Dave Clark Five. Mike Smith, the lead singer, passed away the other day and I was sad to hear that. He was a great singer and he will be missed. The same day one of my friends from work passed away from a sudden heart attack. She was in the hospital following a serious auto accident but was in great spirits and was hoping to be back at work within a month. I remember the vicious remarks from some of my coworkers following the accident and wonder if they regret their meanness now that she has passed away. It makes you think about what you will be remembered for. These ladies had a chance to be kind but chose cruelty instead and now it is too late to show kindness and respect.

The real counter is 6816.

No comments: