Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Potpourri


“The self cannot be realized by scriptures nor by intellectual probity, nor by the astuteness of the intellect. It can only be realized by him who chooses it.” The Upanishads

“Human rights are of universal interest because it is the inherent nature of all human beings to yearn for freedom, equality, and dignity, and they have a right to achieve them.” Dalai Lama

This blog will be a potpourri of things for this Friday. I had most of it written before Microsoft decided to crash Word and lose it all. Sigh.

We got our Christmas bonus checks today and it will get me through Christmas shopping which I need to do the majority of tomorrow if the gifts are going to get to people on time. I’ll have to wrap and print calendars like mad tomorrow if I am going to get stuff out in time. The cards will be done next as I can fudge on them a bit. If they get there late it won’t be as bad as missing the deadline for Christmas gifts.

Today turned very emotional at work with tears and in the end something positive coming out of it. I have mentioned before the one lady that others like to pick on. I was washing my hands in the bathroom when she rushed into the room in tears. I didn’t know what had happened but I knew I couldn’t leave her there alone and crying so I went up to her and hugged her and tried to comfort her. She didn’t really want to talk about what happened. The other lady who turned out to be involved came in and I finally left the two of them to talk. The other lady did talk to me later and told me what happened. She had learned a valuable and painful lesson. Some of the other ladies in the office had convinced her to do something that went against what she really believed in and as a result someone was badly hurt. She has resolved to be true to herself from now on and be the nice person she really is rather then trying to fit in with people who are not nice people.

Sometimes we are so desperate to fit in that we turn from our own true natures and try and be what we are not. In the end we only hurt and disappoint ourselves. When you try and live a lie you damage the essential part of yourself that is you. I had shied away from this person because I saw how others were turning her from the good person she was into something I didn’t want to associate with. I had felt her behavior myself and snapped at her a couple of weeks ago. I am fed up with the cruelty around me. I just try and do my job the best I can and keep to myself as much as possible being professional but drawing the line at being personal with these people. I have had to comfort three people in two days who had been hurt by others in the office. I have found myself in tears over the years by hurtful people and I try and comfort others now when I see them in tears. I refuse to relinquish my essential self to try and fit in. I will maintain my own standards of morality because in the end I have to live with myself. I am glad my coworker finally discovered that essential truth. To thy own self be true.

I have been following the story of Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich and the attempts of the right wing to try and link him to President Elect Obama. They keep wondering how could Obama not know? Obviously these people are not familiar with Illinois politics. ;-) As a resident of the state for 6 years I know very well how Obama couldn’t know. Like many Democrats he had as little to do with the Governor as possible. Obama concentrated on the Federal Government and the Senate. Believe me the Governor has not been popular with a vast majority of his Party members in Illinois for a long time. People like State Attorney General Lisa Madigan managed to avoid him as much as possible. Think how much easier it was for Obama to be in Washington. When he came to the State he spent his time touring the entire State in Town meetings. He didn’t spend any time with the Governor. If you managed to stomach listening to the taped conversations then you know that the Governor can’t stand Obama. The only time Obama ever injected himself into Illinois State politics was to urge campaign contribution reforms something that Blagojevich was very opposed to. My brother amused me the other night when he asked what was up with the Illinois’ Governors? It didn’t matter whether they were Democrats or Republicans they were corrupt. He couldn’t figure out how the State elected such great Senators but crooks for Governors. I really didn’t have an answer. I would imagine it has something to do with the history of Chicago and corruption from the Mafia. I just know that it is an interesting place to live. I wouldn’t want to run for office from there however. ;-)

The weather has been lousy here all month. We have had freezing temperatures and snow off and on all month. It did inspire me to come up with the above picture that everyone so far has just loved. It is called Fun in the Snow. Of course my Merlin wouldn’t be caught dead out in the snow let alone on a sled with a dog. He has been making a nest of the green blanket on my bed. We call it his security blanket. As much as Pixie torments him I guess he is entitled to a security blanket.

No comments: