Thursday, June 19, 2008

After the Rain

“The heart’s message cannot be delivered in words.” Mu-Mon

 

“Man, have faith in yourself. The soul is the same in every one.” Swami Vivekananda

 

“Consumed with anger, the world is an ugly place. Bathed in happiness, the world is a wonderful place. But, aha! the same world.” Taitetsu Unno

 

“Compassion is not religious business, it is human business, it is not luxury, it is essential for our own peace and mental stability, it is essential for human survival.” Dalai Lama

 

“Live a good honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.” Dalai Lama

 

“A balanced and skillful approach to life, taking care to avoid extremes, becomes a very important factor in conducting one’s everyday existence.” Dalai Lama

 

“You have to work. There are thousands of people who will help you. You are never alone. But the main work is on your own shoulders.” Dalai Lama

 

“Peaceful resolution is the only alternative to violence.” Dalai Lama

 

Yes it has been an awful long time between postings for me. I have been battling extreme fatigue and all I have wanted to do for weeks now is sleep. I plan on doing some research tonight and see if I can figure out what is wrong and if it can be treated with vitamins and changes in diet.

 

I have stopped eating at the hospital cafeteria because I think that is what caused by cholesterol to jump way high this time. I am bringing my lunch now and I have noticed that I do feel a bit better. I am eating healthier at home too. I just need to refine the diet so that I am getting more energy from my food and maybe supplementing it with vitamins.

 

I have named my knee brace “Igor” since I walk like Frankenstein’s monster with it. Everyone seems to think that it is really funny. I figured if I have to deal with this thing I may as well have a sense of humor about it.

 

I was reminded several times recently in a conversation that I’m a good part Irish. Of course the way it was presented to me was very condescending and I really was not amused. I have always been very proud of my Irish heritage. The Irish are a people who have suffered much but still managed to keep their sense of humor and their ability to triumph in spite of adversity. If you look at the history of Ireland it is amazing that the Irish have triumphed and are now known as “The Irish Tiger.” There has been so much hatred and violence in that land. Even in this country the immigrants faced prejudice. It wasn’t that long ago that there were signs reading “No dogs or Irishmen allowed.” We have come a long way since those days and I salute my Irish heritage every chance I get. In fact on Match.com I am known as ArtisticIrishGal.

 

We faced some very heavy rains here in the Midwest and we had some road damage here in our part of Indiana. I hope my brother checks the road conditions before we go and see my Aunt this weekend. We haven’t seen her in a long time and I’m looking forward to it.  Aunt Bird has the gentle Irish spirit that I just love.

No comments: