Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rainbows

“Facts are not frightening. But if you try to avoid them, turn your back and run, then that is frightening.” Krishnamurti

 

“It is man that makes truth great, not truth that makes man great.” Confucius

 

“Pass, therefore, not today in vain, for it will never come again.” Omar Khayyam

 

I have mentioned before that I have a real problem with prejudiced people. It was hard for me at work today to keep from lashing out at a couple of people who were making ugly remarks about gays and how they should stay in the closet. Considering it was a gay couple who moved me away from an abusive ex-husband and let me stay with them for a couple of months until I could find a place of my own and a full time job to say that the attitude of certain people towards gays makes me see red. It was especially upsetting that one of the people making the remarks is a young mother of two children. Just what this world needs is another generation being brought up in hatred.

 

One of the things that has made me determined to leave this small town after mother goes is the small minded prejudice that I keep encountering. I just get tired of listening to bigots. I want to get back to a larger metropolitan area where I will be among the diversity that I grew up with in the San Francisco Bay Area.

 

In an ideal world people would practice what Jesus preached “Thou shall love thy neighbor as thyself.” I don’t see any qualifiers there do you? Or how about “Man was made in God’s image” I certainly don’t see any qualifiers there either. There is no except for ________ fill in the blank with whatever the current hated group is. God loves us no matter what and when we indulge ourselves in hatred and prejudice towards anyone because of race, color, creed, religion or lack of, sex, sexual orientation, political beliefs, education, class, or any other qualifiers then you are going against God’s word. Even if you don’t believe in God you are still going against common decency and against how a human being has a right to be treated.

 

A person should be treated with respect. Everyone has the right to a decent life for themselves and their families. We are one world and if we intend to continue living on this world we need to learn to get along. Each person needs to examine their own heart and make a conscious effort to over come any prejudices they may have towards others not like themselves.

 

The picture is called Rainbow Birds. A rainbow is made up of all colors and that is why it is so beautiful.

No comments: