Thursday, May 21, 2009

Computer Whoa There


“Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.” Oscar Wilde

It is not easy being a geek. It is even harder being a geek and female. What is a major headache is being the only geek in a household of “can you fix my computer” inhabitants. I know a great deal about computers but sometimes when I am stuck I go to my two brothers in Texas and California. I know how to hookup computers, install hardware, install software, and in general the techy things that make the beasts run. I remember talking to tech support once for a software issue and being told it was so nice to talk to someone who knew computers and could follow the instructions on fixing the problem. At home as well as at work I am the go to person before they call in the people who get paid for taking care of computers for a living. Me, I work for free.

I cannot count the number of times I have received phone calls from my Mom needing computer help. I remember a phone call I received a few years ago at work. I answered the phone and the first thing I heard was “help.” Recognizing my Mom’s voice my first response was “what is on your screen.” My late Dad called me at times too with computer questions. Since moving back home I have had to show my Mom numerous times how to use her programs. I have fixed her computer when she has accidentally hit something she shouldn’t. I mean who needs three shortcuts to the same word processing program, etc. on their screen? My brother’s middle name should be changed to “Sis can you look at my computer.”

My latest headache has been my oldest brother. His computer was dying and he finally bought a new one. Of course my advice to have our expert at work build it fell on deaf ears and he went with the local computer people who, in my humble opinion, if they had brains they would take them out and play with them. Not the brightest crayons in the box as far as I am concerned. It has been a major headache getting that new computer to work. The computer refused to talk to the monitor to start with. Then the computer refused to start period. Now the computer refuses to connect with the device that talks to the Internet. I suspect that it knows that it will be connected to the right wing sites that my brother loves.


So this geek is going into work early to start learning how we bill on our crap of a computer system. Then I get to go to our local Wal-Mart or Radio Shack and hope one of them has the black ink cartridges for Mom’s computer because she didn’t tell me she had two color cartridge spares and no black ones. Depending on what my brother finds out I’ll probably have to work on his computer as well and if he loses the Key number one more times I am going on E-bay and selling him to the highest bidder or any bidder for that mater. Maybe then I can get to my computer and try and get my art program to work. This problem I had to outsource to Texas since that brother uses the same program I do and the tech support at DAZ is not exactly up to par. Sigh. Sometimes I think I should have just stuck with that Etch-A-Sketch and abacus. Life would be simpler.

No comments: