Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Great Escape


“There is always a piece of fortune in misfortunes.” Japanese proverb

“When you engage in fulfilling the needs of others, your own needs are fulfilled as a by-product.” Dalai Lama

“I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his abilities.” Oscar Wilde

As an artist I am very aware of colors. I love the juxtaposition of bright pink blossoms against a blue sky. I love the pinks and gold of sunset since being a strictly night owl the chance of me seeing a sunrise is not too good most days although I have on occasions not been to bed yet when the sun rises. I love mountains with the white snow above the conifers of dark green. My personal favorite of colors are probably the reds and purples.

As much as I love the color purple it doesn’t really look too good on me at the moment. Of course the purple is on the ankle that with a slip on a pretty blue throw rug that sent said ankle on a collision course with the edge of the rocking runner on a hardwood old fashioned rocking chair. Ouch! Limp! Pain! And $&*(*^&%$#^#$ while we are at it.

The color for today is gray however as it is going to continue to rain all week. I still need to limp out to our neighborhood Wal-Mart who forgot the main rule of “if it isn’t broke don’t fix it.” Their “new and improved” layout, which changes from weekend to weekend as they try and renovate a store piecemeal, is driving all of us nuts. It has brought an increase in customer interaction though as we all stand there staring trying to find where they put stuff this week. We help each other out as the sales clerks are even more confused then we are.

It is a good day though to finally get over to our library. Usually my first stop in a new town I have never been to ours. I think that the real reason I had avoided it was that it was one of Dad’s favorite places to be and he was well know there. Today, however, I am going to make that connection. I need to get some more books for Mom and I to read. My Mom has taken to reading a lot of mysteries since that along with science fiction is what I mainly read for enjoyment. Science fiction/fantasy is something she doesn’t really get. Her look of “okay” when I tried to explain why my niece sent me an action doll of Colonel John Shepherd from “Stargate Atlantis” for Christmas was precious. It still brings a smile to my face.

Today I am going to see what this small town library has in the way of mysteries. I’m hoping for a good selection of Agatha Christie for my Mom since Mom doesn’t like lots of blood, gore, sex, in her reading. She is a “cozy” mystery reader. She likes some of the “cooking” mysteries like Diane Mott Davidson. I enjoy them because I am a chef and love to create recipes myself. I have my own recipe section in my website because of requests for the recipes. (
http://artbymichelewilson.com/recipes.htm)

I am fascinated by mysteries that take place in other areas of the world. I just discovered Alexander McCall Smith’s Prescious Ramotswe whose stories take place in Botswana, Africa. If you have never read Robert Van Gulik’s “Judge Dee” mysteries set in ancient China you must give them a try. I introduced my Dad to those and he loved them. They are a fascinating look at a world we would ordinarily never see. Oddly enough when I actually read them Earl Derr Biggers “Charlie Chan” books were not what I expected. His detective was not the buffoon of the movies but extremely intelligent. It was a case of my over coming a dislike of the Hollywood mentality to go to the original source and being surprised.

I have traveled to Hong Kong with William Marshall. If you want to combine this with a bit of science fiction don’t miss his book “Sci-Fi” it is a fun, fun read. Go to the Australian outback with Arthur Upfield’s wonderful half aboriginal detective Napoleon Bonaparte. Visit medieval England/Wales with Ellis Peters Brother Cadfael. Elizabeth Peters will take you to Egypt along with Amelia Peabody and family as they find all sorts of mayhem in their archeological pursuits.
Today with a throbbing ankle and gloomy weather I am planning my great escape. I’ll stock up on my favorite cherry cokes and of course chocolates and I’m out of here. Of course if you really need me Mom, providing I haven’t got you ensconced in the easy chair escaping yourself, I’ll be curled up on the bed with Merlin fast asleep on my lap. So where are you going today?

No comments: