Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Magician Named Merlin


“The creatures that inhabit this earth – be they human beings or animals – are here to contribute, each in its own particular way, to the beauty and prosperity of the world.” Dalai Lama

I have always had cats in my life. They have ranged from a huge orange-gold cat who was so arrogant that he thought he was King of the Universe to a pure white laid back cat who would make a typical Hoosier look hyper. One thing I have always known is that in animals you can learn a lot about yourself by your interactions with them. They are not “dumb” as many people think but have an intelligence that sometimes makes humans look like we should wear the mantel of dumb instead.

Merlin came into my life on a Mother’s Day. It was one of the only positive things that came out of a disastrous marriage. I had lost my Casper a few weeks earlier and my husband’s friend suggested that he get me a real cat to replace him. Merlin was four weeks old. The mother cat had abandoned the entire litter. He was a gray tabby with huge eyes. When I knew that I could adopt him he looked up at me with those huge eyes and let me know his name was Merlin. Of course the fact that shortly before I got him I had watched the Hallmark special “Merlin” with Sam Neil and the black on the cat and the green eyes did remind me of one of my favorite actors may have played a part in that..

In the first few months that I had him I had to get rid of fleas and ear mites. Then he came down with pneumonia and I almost lost him. I had told my husband I was worried about Merlin only to be snapped at and told that worrying was no use the cat would either make it or not. With tender care I managed to pull the kitten through. By that time Merlin was totally convinced I was his real mother and we bonded.

Merlin and I made it through a nasty divorce and a move from California to the Midwest. He is still the world’s biggest momma’s boy. He hates the Midwest thunderstorms and cuddles as close to me as he can. If I am downstairs and he wants me up with him he will come down and cry until I come upstairs with him. He sometimes will stand up on his back paws and try and push me towards the stairs.

A good part of Merlin’s skittishness comes from a week with my now ex when I had come back to see my parents. Sometime during that week this playful kitten became a skittish and scared cat. I don’t know what happened but I have had ten years of dealing with the consequences. I have learned a patience I didn’t know I had when I deal with one of his scared moods. I have learned a forgiveness of my ex because he is truly a sick man. I have learned hatred in oneself only hurts oneself.

Merlin and I get each other through thunderstorms which neither one of us likes. He cuddles next to me at night and purrs. He has shown me an unconditional love. He lowers my stress level with his love and loud purrs. He will sometimes reach up and pat me on the face. With Merlin I have found an unending source of compassion. I have learned that I can make a difference and I can heal hurts. I have learned how to share since at 17 ½ pounds this big cat takes up a good portion of our twin size bed. I have learned that animals can teach us how to be better human beings.

No comments: