Thursday, October 22, 2009

Happiness Is


Sometimes our lives get so frantic and busy that we don’t know if we are coming or going. Many of us have tension filled jobs that leave us wiped out at the end of the day. We are always so busy in between our jobs, and sometimes on our jobs, with blogs, journals, diaries, Tweeter, e-mail, etc. Many of us are fighting political battles, trying to get health care reform, repeal DTDA, etc. that there is little time left over for anything else. Sometimes we need a little reminder of what happiness is and how easy it is to spread to others and how it can give you that warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

My mother has a sister in her 90s. Aunt Bird is one of the loveliest people in the world. She never has a harsh word for anyone. She has volunteered in soup kitchens and schools. My Mom and brother went up to see her last Sunday. I was battling a nasty virus infection that left me too physically wiped out to try and make the 1½ hour trip. I had been working on a photo album for Aunt Bird because she loves flowers. When I went to digital photography 3 years ago I concentrated on nature photography to see what I could accomplish in that field. I went through all the photos stored on my computer and printed out about 250 of the ones I liked the best. Mom took the album up to her sister.

Yesterday was one of those days from hell at work. I came home just wiped out with a massive headache forming. At my place was a note from my Aunt. It read:

Dear Michele:
Thank you so much for the lovely scrap book. You are undoubtedly the very best photographer
in the world. I’ve never seen more vivid pictures,
Love Aunt Bird
P.S. I missed seeing you. Please get well and come next time.


Wow. All the stress from the day just melted as my eyes filled with tears of joy. The headache that was forming went away. A simple little thank you and knowing I was loved and my work appreciated was all it took to make a bad day a good one. I think it is such a wonderful life lesson to learn. Sometimes the little things are all it takes to make someone’s day. When you spread some joy to others it also makes you feel good.

No comments: