Monday, October 12, 2009

Magic Words




When I was growing up I heard “what’s the magic words” frequently. You still hear parents today saying that in an effort to teach their children how to say please and thank you. An article I read many year ago had an impact on my life. It was how to say thank you graciously and the importance of acknowledging to the person who gave to you your appreciation. When we don’t acknowledge when someone has done something for us then the feelings of that person can be hurt. When we try to give the gift back or minimize the gift then we are hurting someone who was trying to be nice. To this day I always try and say thank you and I appreciate it when anyone does something nice for me.

I think a lot of people forgot the magic words this weekend. So I thought I’d do my part in spreading the magic. To Norway and the Norwegian Noble Peace Prize Committee thank you for honoring our President with the prize. To President Obama thank you for your gracious acceptance of the prize and for sharing it with the American people. Thank you for your fight for health care and reform. I would like to thank my Senators for their support but unfortunately living in Indiana I can’t do that at the moment since neither Senator is doing anything.

In spite of her ill health I am thankful that my mother is still alive and able to get around. I am thankful for Social Security that helps pay her bills. I am thankful for Medicare that will pay to get the cancerous growths removed from her face and for the cataract surgery she will need to see better. I am thankful for Pixie the little black cat who adopted us three years ago. She has given my mother a new lease on life. I had to really struggle the other evening not to laugh out loud when my mother was scolding Pixie like a little child after she had run down in the basement and gotten filthy crawling in the crawl space down there.

I am thankful for DAZ and Curious Labs and the other 3D software people out there for their products. When arthritis in my hands got to the point that I could no longer hold the pen or paint brush I was able to turn to the computer and an ergonomic mouse and continue to do art work. I am grateful to the people who build the 3D mesh models that I can use in my artwork. I am grateful to my art mentor Dann Lopez whose faith in me as an artist and unfailing support through the years has encouraged me to continue to try and do new things with my art. I am grateful to other professional artists like Frank Lutz who have encouraged me through the years.

I was so touched the other day when my niece thanked me again on Facebook for the Princess Bride wedding dress I made her three years ago. It was a labor of love for me and I was fighting tears of joy all during the wedding seeing her so beautiful and marrying someone who truly loved her and her children.

I am thankful that John Goodwin and my brother Eric know how to make computers and for the two computers I have because of them. I use them both every day.

Yesterday I was thankful for the absolutely beautiful fall day with the blue sky and crisp weather. Thanks to Cannon for making a digital camera that allowed me to get the shot of the moon over the trees. The pictures are my two screen savers at the moment and I am thankful to all the above that I have them on my computer screens.


Look around you I am sure you can find something to be thankful for. Say thank you. It is not only good for you but for the person who gives. They truly are the magic words.


No comments: