Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Priceless


Kids and cats can brighten up the worse day sometimes. Yesterday was one of those days at work where you feel that working with kindergartners would be better then the adults I'm saddled with. The level of maturity would rise for one thing. I had a migraine coming on by the time I got home. My 17½ pound momma’s boy, Merlin, was happy to see me as was my mother’s cat, Pixie. That made me feel better too. I’m surprised I have any skin left on my hand the way Merlin was washing my hand last night.

My niece had called and I noticed that the older boy was now using one of my art pieces as his avatar on Facebook. His sister had objected to his using something she had done so he decided that Grandmother wouldn’t mind. I had helped to raise their Mom so they consider me to be their grandmother which is cool with me. The older boy has made it through a real rough time battling Asperger’s and he and I have a close relationship. He picked my picture “Celestial Dragon” and I was thrilled.

His older sister had an assignment to write about an epic hero and was disappointed that her teacher wouldn’t let her do “Sean” from my short story collection. Again I was thrilled that she had immediately thought of something I had done for her project. You can find the stories on the web at the
short story collection portion of my website.

My older boy also cracked me up when he was complaining to his Mom that no one got his reference to “Captain Jack” in his classroom. Of course he meant Captain Jack Harkness from Doctor Who and Torchwood. He was further shocked to find only one person had even heard of Doctor Who. His response was “I thought they were geeks but they are just nerds.” Priceless.

No comments: