Monday, February 6, 2006

Wealth

I have a daily calendar that has quotes from Eastern Philosophy on it. Today’s quote is from Mahatma Gandhi and says, “Increase of material comforts, it may be generally laid down, does not in any way whatsoever conduce to moral growth.” For me this goes with the old proverb “wealth can’t buy happiness.” One of my favorite quotes is from The Little Prince and says “what is essential is invisible to the eye.

 

I believe that the important things in life can not be purchased. I was married to a man who felt he had to buy things all the time. He always needed the newest, the biggest, the best in material goods. He thought if he bought me something, usually something he wanted, that it would absolve him from giving me what I really needed which was love and respect. In the end he was left with all the material possessions because I didn’t want them.

 

For me the important things in life can not be purchased. My love does not have a price. I give it freely and willing to those I want to give it to. You can not buy it from me. The same goes for respect. You earn my respect by your words and actions. I can not be bribed with material goods to give you respect. It doesn’t work that way.

 

I am satisfied with older electronic equipment and as long as it works I’m happy. Most of my furniture is second hand or older stuff I’ve had for years but it is still serviceable so why replace it. A majority of my wardrobe was given to me by friends when the dress code changed where I worked and I couldn’t afford a new wardrobe. I don’t need a lot of material things.

 

I think people need many things that can not be purchased. People need friendship. People need love. People need understanding. People need someone to listen to them. None of these things can be purchased. These are the essentials of life and can not purchased at a store. You can not flip through a catalog and order them. What is essential lives in the heart. Love, understanding, kindness, goodness these are essential things that need to be developed in a person for that person to live a happy life. How can a person be happy with only material things? How can a person be happy if there is no love or caring in his life?

 

If you really want to give something special to someone give the gift of yourself. Give up a little of your time to help someone else. That type of gift is wealth beyond measure.

 

The picture is from my short story “Pot of Gold" found at

http://members.aol.com/michelesstorys/gold.htm/ which will give you an idea what some creatures will do for money.

 

No comments: