Thursday, September 21, 2006

Overcoming

"You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Let a man overcome anger by love." Buddha

One of the things I learned about myself was that even though I can get angry I have taught myself not to hold the anger in and let it fester. I have learned to let go of my anger. It helps when you finally realize that the person you are angry with couldn't care less. You are not hurting that person you are only hurting yourself.

One of the hardest thing for some people to do is forgive. I have learned to forgive. It doesn't mean that I forget what happened it just means that I learn from the experience and let go the anger and forgive the person. It causes less ulcers that way.

Stress and anger can cause serious physical problems and I have enough of those to deal with now without inflicting more problems on myself. I suppose it helps that I'm the sort that is slow to anger but push me too far and I will blow up but I quickly get over it.

I try to find things that give me pleasure when I'm upset to take my mind off my problems. I'll lose myself in a good murder mystery or in a fantasy world. I'll watch cooking programs. I'll sew or do stitchery. I'll do crossword puzzles or word games. I find if I distract myself from what I'm fretting over that I can put the anger and upset behind me and approach the problem from a new light. It is hard to think clearly when you are upset.

I also look for the joy in life. One of the joys right now is the new kitten. Pixie is such an affectionate little thing. She loves to be held and will run to greet you. She has a gentle little purr. She is also a little rascal and has learned how to untie the chair cushions in the dining room. It is hard to be angry around her.

Just so he doesn't feel left out the picture is of Merlin.

No comments: