Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering

“The biggest thing in today’s sorrow is the memory of yesterday’s joy.” Kahil Gibran

 

I think everyone remembers where they were when they heard about the World Trade Center being destroyed. There is a lot of rhetoric going on today from politicians and commentators. There are still questions that need to be answered as to why it happened and how it could have been prevented and other questions that can only be “answered” in hindsight.

 

As families who lost loved ones are forced by the media to again confront the pain and sorrow of the loss I would hope that they can also remember the happy times with those whom they have lost. I know with the loss of my own father that the memories of him in happier times do help with the sorrow.

 

Life has gone on since that fateful day and we continue to live it the best we can. There are moments in life that make us stop and think how precious it really is. This was brought home to me in what started out to be a simple conversation with my mother. She worries about my health and the way my lungs have deteriorated with the COPD. She was mentioning this in her call to her older sister who mentioned it to her son John. Mom was saying she was afraid my lungs would get so bad I would need a transplant. John, whom I have only met a couple of times, said that “if Michele needs a transplant she can have one of my lungs.” The idea that I could be so loved, that someone would literally want to give me a part of themselves to help me, just really floors me.

 

Even in sorrow we have much to be thankful for. Even with all the evil that is in this world we still have goodness. The picture is called “Abundance” for on this day of sorrow we still have an abundance of good if we will open our eyes and look.

 

No comments: