Monday, November 10, 2008

To Help Take Away the Chill


“We all want to be famous people, and the moment we want to be something we are no longer free.” J. Krishnamurti

“When fear, hatred, jealousy dominate our mind, then the best part of our brain which can judge cannot function properly.” Dalai Lama

Although it may be tempting to do another political post I think I am going to pass this time around. Granted I do read
The Daily Kos every day and while I agree with them more then I disagree with them I still have my own opinions about things and tend to vote and think how I want rather then how someone else thinks I should. I have my opinions and you have yours and if we agree fine and if we disagree fine. That is my view of what a democracy is all about.

Instead I am going to offer up help for the frigid weather we are now experiencing and those of you in California I really don’t need to hear how warm it is okay? I had to turn the defrosters on this morning to get the ice off my windshield and the temperature is dropping rapidly. Already parts of the United States are dealing with snow and no doubt we here in Indiana will be a real “blue” state soon with snow of our own. So to keep you warm here is my recipe for Out of This World Chili. If you like to cook take a look at
the recipes section of my website. I think you will find some recipes there that you will like.

PS: To any Texans just leave the beans out already. As I told the last Texan who whined at me that they don't put beans in their chili, we won the war and we do. ;-)


Out of This World Chili
Serving Size: 8
Preparation Time:0:15 - Start to Finish Time: 2:30
"Slow cooking for a long time makes this one of the best chilies you will ever taste!"

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds beef stew meat, R-T-C -- cubed
29 ounces low sodium tomato, canned -- diced, drained
31 ounces low sodium kidney beans, canned
4 ounces green chilies -- diced
8 ounces no salt added tomato sauce
1 cup red wine
1 large onion -- finely chopped
6 large garlic cloves -- minced
1 large green bell pepper -- seeded and diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 tablespoons chili powder
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons low sodium Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 ounces four-cheese Mexican-style shredded cheese

Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add meat, onion, garlic and green pepper. Cook until meat is browned on all sides and vegetables are softened. Drain.

Add rest of ingredients except kidney beans and cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for two hours stirring every fifteen minutes.

Add kidney beans. Uncover and simmer for two more hours, again stirring every 15 minutes.

Serve with cheese sprinkled over top.

Per Serving: 419 Calories; 13g Fat (29.8% calories from fat); 39g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 78mg Cholesterol; 464mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1½ Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; ½ Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

No comments: