Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ain't No Big Thing


“Your way is the best for you, but that is no sign it is the best fir another.” Swami Vivekananda

“Follow the three Rs: Respect for self, Respect for others, Responsibility for all your actions.” Dalai Lama

“Michele is very forgiving.” A simple sentence but it had a profound emotional impact on me. A coworker spoke it. A couple of coworkers had ordered out for pizza and in their pique at other coworkers who were being their normal obnoxious selves they had forgotten to ask me if I wanted to order too. They had apologized and but I didn’t feel slighted or left out. To me it wasn’t a big deal. I knew they were upset and did not intend to leave me out. As my Hawaiian friends would put it “ain’t no big thing.”

It comes down to a matter of priorities. What is really the most important thing? Is it important to hold a grudge against those who have hurt you in some way or is it more important to let go the anger and move on? It is a question we face not only as individuals in our own lives but as citizens and part of the governmental process.

Where do we go from here and for that matter where do we start? What should our priorities be? My personal starting point has always been who or what does it help or at least not harm. If we look at the problems we are facing as a country and a world we need to ask ourselves would this action help or hurt.

Being employed in health care business for the last ten years one of my top priorities is better and affordable health care. Real science needs to be funded in order to find not only a way to heal but to prevent illnesses in the first place. Cancer and heart attacks have taken a lot of my family and friends. There has to be a cure for both.

I got my 401K statement yesterday and I have lost money again. If it keeps up the way it is going when I’m ready to retire I will owe them money. The economy has to be a top priority. I am tired of calling customer service for various companies and getting India and people who claim their name is “Fiona.” I am tired of companies closing down and out sourcing departments so the CEOs get a huge fat bonus and the common working men are struggling to keep their heads above water. People need to work and the rate that we are losing jobs in this country is frightening.

We need to get our soldiers home as soon as possible. They have placed their lives on the line long enough. We need to take care of them properly when they do come home.

We need to do something about this planet and its environment. It is the only home we have. If we lose the Earth we have no place else to go because science has not been funded enough to open up the possibility of living on another planet.

The people who have broken the law and violated the basic human rights of others need to be held accountable. The important thing we need to remember is that we have to proceed within the law and uphold human rights ourselves. If we do not then we become what we fight against.

It is the last thought that I base my life on. I don’t like working with several of the people in my office because their purpose in that office is to try and see how many people they can get into trouble. They are out for themselves only. They are petty and mean spirited. I can order my own pizza. I would rather have friends and not make waves over the small things in life. It ain’t no big thing.


“Always forgive your enemies – nothing annoys them so much.” Oscar Wilde

No comments: