Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ode to the African-American Girl in Second Grade


When I was in second grade we lived on the Army base in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This was before the real start of the civil rights movement. While the Army wanted blacks to fill their ranks they also didn’t want to give them the same deference as they were giving the white personnel. At my school the girls out numbered the boys. The school was into dancing and especially folk dancing and I must admit our dance teacher did try and bring in every ethnic group she could for that area. I had one of the boys as a partner. I thought he was pretty yucky. The one black girl in our class was partnered with another girl who decided she didn’t want to dance with her. She wanted my partner. I will never forget how embarrassed I felt when the teacher brought me up in front of the class because I was willing to switch partners. Yes I was being unprejudiced but I was also a kid who happened to like the black girl and thought of her as a friend. I was one of the few people who would play with her at recess. So today as we get ready to inaugurate our first African-American President I am taking time to think about those long ago days of second grade. This was a poem I wrote a few years ago. I hope the girl is still alive today and in Washington DC cheering our president on.


Ode To The African-American Girl In Second Grade

The years have made me forget your name.
Your smile? No.
Your warmth? Never.
You taught me something.

Second grade.
A long time ago.
Black - White -
Human - Love -
Yes.

Dancing. A free expression of the soul.
Not enough boys - Girl's partners -
I had a boy.
She wouldn't dance with you.
Why?

With quiet dignity you took it.
She wants my partner. Yes.
Dance with me. Yes.
Good. I like you.

They hurt you.
Why?
They pushed you down.
You cried. I cried.
Your blood was red like ours.
You were the same as us.
Why did I think your blood
Would be a different color?
Foolish child.

I think of you.
Do you think of me?
Sometimes?
Do you hate us all?
I hope not.
For we're all the same,
You and I,
You taught me that.
Thank you.

No comments: